FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glad our cars are fiberglass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Glad our cars are fiberglass Reply with quote

At least we won't have this problem:-

Waxoil

Stolen from Blatchat (Caterham forum):-

Waxoil….

I really wanted to get some of this into the Land Rover's chassis before I started using it, so tonight was planned to be the night for waxoiling the inside of the chassis….

I had gone to Halfords and bought 2 gallons, and knocked off work early…

I also had the real benefit that SWMBO was out tonight, so I had since 3.00pm been shoving the 2 gallon cans into the sink with near boling water…….

I should have known things were going to go “slightly wrong” when I started….

I decided to use a Waxoil gun, and my compressor, I had the propane burner on in the workshop since 3.00pm flat out and it was like the sahara, in fact it was so hot I decided a T shirt and shorts was the dress code………

Grabbing some white spirit to further thin the waxoil I entered the kitchen and unscrewed the waxoil lid…

Thhhhuuuumpppppppp !…grwat big snotty big dollop spewed out over the kitchen worksurface........, no probs I thought, ...I’ll sort that out when I’ve finished, as I might make "a little bit more mess yet", .....glad Sues not in….

Clutching bloody hot waxoil injector thingy, part filled with waxoil and mixed with very very warm white spirit I squirted and soaked the chassis blasting away, and also practising holding my breath .....as it went misty in the workshop….

1 Gallon later I was nearly there, I was at the rear cross member, with yet another huge refill…….

I ought to point out that I had also decided that at some of the angles I was at pulling and holding the trigger was a pain in the ar&e...( I have a really bad back) so I had devised a cunning lock of an elastic band on the trigger so that I could let it do it things whilst it sprayed away……

Shove tube into hole and pull trigger….lock and waggle etc…

Enter my wifes love of her life…..

The cat….

It sat there and looked at me the way only a cat can….it sniffed (unapprovingly) the dripped waxoil, and I said…

“Huh, you don’t want to be in here matey, this stuff will stick to your fur like sh*t to a blanket”……and at that very point the jammed on tube extension came off the gun…

Could I release the elastic band round the trigger ?…

Could I boll*cks….

The gun squirted warm waxoil/white spirit out at a force never so far experienced, one particularly good jet hit the cat, who bolted, knocking over the 2/3 empty (1/3 full!!) can of hot waxoil/white spirt mix, which flowed oh so well under the landy, and into my clothes T shirt and clothes and skin areas exposed..., but I was still fighting with the hot octopus trying to switch the damned thing off, but I failed, I was saved when it just ran out…..

Just when I thought nothing could get worse than lying under a Land Rover with waxoil soaked clothes, waxoil dripping onto my hair and face, and running into my ears….

Some waxoil drpped onto the lead lamp….

Ping….

Blackness…….

Blackness as it also pinged the fuse for the lighting circuit, getting myself out of the underneath of the landy proved friutfull, in that I knew all the places that waxoil had “leaked” ……

Removing dripping clothes I entered house in “minimal Clothes” to resolve fuse prob, when Lights went on I saw the cat…

I AM GOING TO DIE IF SHE SEES THIS !

Here Puddie cattie……

This did not improve the sink/kitchen area one little jot, .....ever tried holding a 'waxoiled cat' in a sink with water and rags, and especially when cat does not enjoy it ?….

1 hour later cat was scrubbed and very piss7d off with me, I’ve had 2 baths, and also cleaned the bath it seems that the bath will not be rusty….scrubbed kitchen fllor, sink, worktop

Will she notice….

Cat stinks, garage sticks, alley way stinks, I stink, kitchen smells of lemon washing up liquid, which strangely we seem to nearly be out of ?….floor stinks……

She will be back any minute…….

[gulp]

Nice job on the Landy tho....... ))

....UPADTE...............

...later that evening......

Alleyway door closes and SWMBO walks in.....

"have a nice time dear ?......."

"what the HELL is that smell ?"

"Smell ?....er do you mean the waxoil ?"

"Is that what it is - its disgusting"

"Er..really"....

"yes really, the alleyway stinks, I mean I could smell it when I got out of the car..."

"er...really ?"

"yes, Really, I mean my G*d its stinking everywhere out, its even permutated the house "

"really"

"yes really and [ picks up cat - I look away at telly and pray]...and ....good grief even the cat smells of it its ....[ at this point the cat growls at Sue.....probably hand enough of being "handled" during the evening...]..."WELL if your going to be like that madam you grumpy old thing" ...[places cat down firmly - cat grumbles some more].. cat exits still grumbling

"Charming.........well.....Anyway, have you finished.........?"

THOUGHTS...............

I've got away with it...."yes dear thanks"...
I've got away with it...."all done"...I've got away with it...."think I'll have a beer"...I've got away with it....I've got away with it...."Would you like a glass of wine ?"....I've got away with it....yippee....I've got away with it....and

SHE'S GOT THE HUMP WITH THE CAT TOO - NOT ME !!

Beer....

Bed....

RESULT....... !

But a bit close for comfort......far to close

Dave
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be pernickety Dave, fibreglass is a tradename so our cars are built from glassfibre or GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic).

Incidentally have you ever seen GRP burn? I have. A few years I was clearing a field opposite to where we live and found one of those devices which fits over the bed of a pick up truck. Rather than saw it up into pieces, I set fire to it. Well the flames and acrid black smoke shot upwards to about 40ft. It looked like a plane crash. Even if I'd had any water to hand, I would never had succeeded in extinguishing it. One woman up the road even came down to remonstrate with me. What a sight!
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Paul Narramore"]Just to be pernickety Dave, fibreglass is a tradename so our cars are built from glassfibre or GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic).
quote]
Paul, to be equally pernickerty, "Fiberglas", er not re and one s, is the trademark name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiberglass
Our cars are built from fibreglass, generic term along with grp. and glassfibre (er).
Happy New year to all
Dave
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fibreglass or fiberglas - it made me laugh! It is bloomin' cold out there today. I lifted the car cover on the Olympic to look at the rear axle. I am going to replace it with a Ford one, but I wondered if there is enough room to put the third, top, link, on top of the diff and mounted to the body above the propshaft. I think the Panhard rod may be in the way, though. Quickly covered it back up and came back indoors- sensible!

I hope you all got through the Christmas holiday unscathed, and a prosperous New Year to you all.

Rod
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, On my car, which has a Ford axle, the panhard rod is below the axle and will not be in the way of the diff/tunnel link rods. If you look back for the pictures that Alex posted you will see what I mean.
Regards
Dave
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Dave, my early P2 has a Riley axle and the Panhard rod must be nearly 6" higher than yours. I will have to examine the bodyshell to see if it is strong enough to mount it further up.

Rod
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glassfiber seems to be the American spelling whilst Glassfibre is the English one. Trust the Yanks to foul up the English language again. Confused
Dave-M

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, can do pictures of the mountings if you want.
Paul, you are dead right, anyone who uses "suspenders" to hold up their trousers has to be odd
Happy new year
Dave
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, when you have time I would, indeed, be grateful for pics of the mountings, both axle and body ends, and the length , hole to hole, of the top link. Any thing that will make it easier to work out where I should weld, or bond! Thanks, and a good New Year to you.

Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: