FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phase 2 Front Suspension (again)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave-M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Phase 2 Front Suspension (again) Reply with quote

Made a start

Machined the uprights to accept spherical bearings to replace the trunnions,
Next job is to make some housings to accept the bearings.

Regards,Dave

Last edited by Dave-M on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: front suspension Reply with quote

I would urge caution when machining the front uprights, we have had a number of failures on our race car using this method. Whilst the forces involved may be more with race slicks it is still worth considering.

The front uprights have a hole from the grease nipple into the trunnion, we found that making up a steel insert which we threaded and screwed into the upright (having cut thread in the upright to receive it) worked well, it is also worth making sure that the machined part of the upright has a nice radius on it to avoid any stress raisers where it meets the un-machined part.

Last edited by keith hamer on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: suspension Reply with quote

Hello Keith,
I agree with all you say, I had the same reservations while I was machining them. However the engineer in me kicked in and I came to the conclusion that providing the radius you mention is done correctly that there should be virtually no difference in strength between the unmachined upright and the machined one.
The thread on the upright for the trunnion is 3/4 UNC and the root diameter of this thread is 5/8" within a few thousandths of an inch, the machined diameter of the modified upright is exactly 5/8" to accept the COM10 balljoint so there should be little reduction in strength.
However this is all a little academic as I have the ultimate solution to the problem.
(The above uprights were only ever going to be dummy build items).
Will put pics of the solution up here in the next few days.
Regards, Dave
Dave-M

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: front susp Reply with quote

Here are a few pictures of the parts I will be using for my front suspension.
As discussed in the posts above there is a nagging doubt over the strength of the modified uprights. This should be a good, safe solution.

I have also acquired a couple of aluminium wheel hubs with studs on a Ford PCD so I can delete the cast iron (heavy) adaptors that came with the car.

Regards, Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: