FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GT Chassis & Donor Vehicle: Alternative Options?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: GT Chassis & Donor Vehicle: Alternative Options? Reply with quote

Hello,
I am wondering what alternative options are available for the chassis and donor vehicle for a GT?
The reasons I ask are:
1) The original spec. items seem to be in short supply / high demand / high £.
2) The idea of using more modern alternatives appeals to me.
Does anyone have any ideas / personal experience / comments?
Thanks,
Alan
p.s. apologies to any original spec. GT enthusiasts reading this - no offence intended - each to their own.
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: GT Chassis Reply with quote

Hello Alan,

Les Brown's GT is on a Triumph chassis (Spitfire I think) and embodies a degree of modernity whilst still being broadly contemporaneous with a 1960s build.

Regards,

Howard
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Gt chassis alternative Reply with quote

I believe that Les's GT chassis hails from a Triumph GT6, very similar in style and proportions to the Spitfire and Herald chassis.

One of the problems with the Triumph set-up is a slight difference in wheelbase between the Triumph and the Ford pop which is the normal base for a GT. We came across this issue when we built a GT for one of our customers, my solution was to modify the back of the chassis to accept an MG Midget axle which was hung in the same manor as the Olympic, ie on radius arms with a torque reaction on one side and a diff mounted lateral axle location. Using this method we could address the wheelbase inconsistency, we were also able to get over a couple of other Herald related problems.

The rest of the chassis remained substantially unchanged, although in this case we did fit a roll bar to strengthen the whole structure and to give us mountings for seatbelts etc. We also fabricated a spare wheel well and mounted a Midget tank in the floor.

Whilst this solution may be overkill it does give a very usable chassis on which to mount the GT body, and the end result is effectively a Triumph with a plastic body which should make future maintenance easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> GT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: