FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh dear, is it something I said?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Oh dear, is it something I said? Reply with quote

Is it me or has it all gone strangely quiet here? Is it something I said? After months, and in some places years, of utter silence, the 'Olympic' section was bubbling along nicely with two or three posts a day.

In fact whilst we on the subject, can anyone explain to me quite why 95% of the ROC membership cannot in an entire year put one single post on here? Is it because they have nothing to say? If that's the case, I can see some pretty dull Christmas dinners coming up.

I cannot see when members are happy-ish to write in the club magazine, they cannot/will not chat on here. Question
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regretably my Olympic has gone under its new, expensive, car cover and is wrapped up for the winter. Wales has had a few wet and very cold days recently- roll on Summer!
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod

No garage? Any space to build one? How about an ebay 'special' like mine, enough space for two cars. I've just got to the stage where I need to wire my lights and power points up to the consumer unit then run some armoured cable to the house, then paint the floor with two-pack garage floor paint, and I'll be away. A warm, well lit workshop that can be used twelve months of the year. No excuses for me.
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I have a large double garage ( with built in condensation problems from the steel box-profile roof). However, it is occupied by my Triumph TR4 restoration, and has been for a few years now. The rebuild is progressing daily and should be finished in the Summer- famous last words!

I had been looking on and off for an Olympic for a long time, and always just missing the one for sale. Eventually, after twisting his arm, Paul Hutchings sold me his and it has now to wait its turn until I can get stuck into it!

http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo323/HickorySmith/TR4%20restoration/?action=view&current=09bcbe45.pbr

Rod
Dave-M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh dear, is it something I said? Reply with quote

Paul Narramore wrote:
Is it me or has it all gone strangely quiet here? Is it something I said? After months, and in some places years, of utter silence, the 'Olympic' section was bubbling along nicely with two or three posts a day.

In fact whilst we on the subject, can anyone explain to me quite why 95% of the ROC membership cannot in an entire year put one single post on here? Is it because they have nothing to say? If that's the case, I can see some pretty dull Christmas dinners coming up.

I cannot see when members are happy-ish to write in the club magazine, they cannot/will not chat on here. Question

Paul, I agree with the above.
I wonder if the 95% prefer the 3 monthly cycle of information provided by the magazine, personally I prefer it here as the results are instant and from anywhere in the world.
I do realise the magazine has to be the key provider of club news as not everyone has a computer and also the magazine provides the club with an income from sales of back issues.
Perhaps, because of this, the forum is seen as a threat to the magazine by the good and the great?
I accept that the forum is only part of the club website but, it is the only part of the site which is up to date, and as this website is in effect the face of the club to the outside world it seems such a shame that it appears to be neglected by the committee and the majority of the members.
Regards
Dave
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Forum and the Magazine should be able to live side-by-side without friction. They have different uses- the magazine is a permanent way of getting the information to ALL members, by way of carefully planned and written articles. Each magazine covers a host of subjects that will, generally, appeal to a cross-section of members.It can be read and digested at leisure. It has many historical articles that new members, such as myself, have an interest in. It has pictures of cars and owners and events. It also is part of making a member feel one of the "family" and our magazine does that very well- thank you Alan Farrer!

The Forum is a very quick way of getting an immediate answer and information to a question. It is no good writing in to the Club with a mechanical problem, let us say, waiting for the answer to be printed in the magazine, and then waiting for the next issue to hear other member's answers. It could take the best part of a year to finally get what is needed, in contrast to a few hours/days with the Forum. Eventually the question and answer could be incorporated into an article in the magazine, if it warrants it.

I do hope that more members will use the Forum and that it will not alienate members from each other, as we have a common interest in Rochdales!

Rod
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod

What an impressive restoration so far. Are you self taught or do you do this for a living? How do you find the MIG welding and the paint spraying? Piece of cake?

Yes, a forum or message board is, or should be, instant. Many treat it like meeting up for friends in a pub and having a chat. I don't mean daft one liners as is common to many forums, but sensible interesting chat about a common interest. I think most of us by now have computers, crikes I even have a mobile phone Smile

I just cannot understand the silence of the 95%. They won't come on here to discuss it nor write in the mag. It's a puzzle. Still it's their problem; they've got to deal with it. It just seems such a waste of an excellent facility.
zefarelly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, been a bit busy of late . . . . trying to earn some pocket money to fund Rochdale progress . . . . and collecting/installing new workshop toys, sorry, tools . . . .a lathe and a milling machine, I can confirm that they're quite heavy!

as for the rest of the club, and forum usage I just assumed they where joined up via the crematorium like Bush voters 5 years ago !!!
calex_fr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zefarelly wrote:
as for the rest of the club, and forum usage I just assumed they where joined up via the crematorium like Bush voters 5 years ago !!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Mr. Green

from France
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul for the encouragement with my TR4 ! It came, in poor condition from South Carolina. Like many of us, I am self-taught with things mechanical as needs must. I have oxy-acetylene welding equipment but don't use it much now owing to the distortion on body panels, but it is excellent for bending metal and freeing rusted parts. I have a SIP 150 amp MIG welder and some days I can weld fantastically, but the next day I can't seem to get it to stick- I call myself Teflon! I bought a compressor, SIP again I think, and after loads of practice, I am now not too bad with the cellulose or 2 pack. My big problem is that I use the same area for everything to do with the restoration and the paint picks up dust before it dries. It really shows on the 2 pack finish, but with cellulose I can keep rubbing it down, it is so user friendly. I have had to stop the spraying due to the damp as the paint is blooming. I am rewiring the car with my copy of a relay board- seven relays and two fuses- to help preserve the switches etc.

Once this is done the Rochdale is next in the queue, or will it be my MGB pick-up? !!Wink

Rod
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last club magazine there was an article about spraying an Olympic with aerosol cans of paint. I think he must have had the patience of Job. My only experience with spray cans was when I restored a BMW K100 which I converted from RT to an RS. I bought all of the plastic panels from various sources and sprayed them with fourteen cans of Ford Radiant Red, still my favourite shade of red. By laying each panel horizontally, I could spray quite heavily and the gloss was impressive. However after a couple of years, the gloss had turned into a finish which resembled old leather. If I was to do the same again, I'd paint thin layers and leave each coat a couple of hours to dry properly. I think the way I did it caused the thiners to get trapped by each layer.

An MGB pick-up? Whassat?
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an MGB pick-up! Not converted by me I have to admit.
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Rod, that is impressive, and looks to be professionally done.
zefarelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its still an MGB though! Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: