FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New garage/workshop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: New garage/workshop Reply with quote

Sadly I am one of those Rochdale owners who've had a Rochdale under a tarpaulin for many years and have failed to start a restoration of the car for many reasons, one being that the existing garage contains two motorbikes. I have dreamt for years of having a large timber garage/workshop and the ones I saw were fetching £3500 or more. A few months ago I bought on ebay a 6m x 6m timber garage and this involved hiring a 7.5ton truck and travelling to Lancashire where my son and I spent seven hours dismantling it. That was a 17hr day.

As the garden is on a slope, a substantial base had to be built. I really didn't want to wake up one morning to find it had slid to the bottom of the hill! The base will cost me DOUBLE the cost of the garage but it will be done properly. Heavy rain has delayed the final concrete laying which I'm having done by professionals as I want a really smooth finish. However once they've been on Tuesday, I can start work on assembling the dismantled garage/workshop. Hopefully I won't have forgotten how it all goes together.

Here are some pics of the construction so far. The first two pics have been taken from the original ebay entry.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z312/Paul_Narramore/Building%20of%20the%20garage/

At long last I will soon have dry storage for my Olympic and three motorbikes.
calex_fr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifull Paul, beautifull !

from France

Last edited by calex_fr on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
KN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have inspired me. My present work space is so small & cluttered you have to go out side to change your mind. It is not conducive to working in. I have in principle approval from the minister of finance & planning. I spent the day measuring and drawing. Plus a list of requirements.
regards Keith Nicholson ESU816 Phase 1.5. Sydney.

Last edited by KN on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that the pic shown above of my garage/workshop is one placed by the seller on ebay. Mine is still in pieces but I hope to have the walls erected this weekend. Because the ground is on a pronounced slope, and because I didn't want to wake up one morning to find it had slid down the hill into the River Medway, the concrete base has had to be substantial, like £1500 worth of 'substantial'. Concrete foundations, concrete blocks, Type 1 Roadstone, DPC and screed, plus one course of bricks. The bottom piece of tongue & groove on each panel is rotten and of course the wood yard don't stock that size (5"x1") so they have to be specially machined. However I'm nearly there, especially when the Cuprinol Heritage Shades 'Somerset Green' stain and the new wood arrives. The garage/workshop will house the Rochdale and my three motorbikes plus work bench, power points and lighting and fridge for the beer Wink

Last edited by Paul Narramore on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
calex_fr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A party of my workshop :

Embarassed

from France
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice looking barn. Bugatti blue, the French national racing colour Very Happy ?
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z312/Paul_Narramore/Building%20of%20the%20garage/T.jpg

Almost there!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z312/Paul_Narramore/Building%20of%20the%20garage/S.jpg
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking good Paul! The trouble is that it will soon fill up leaving you too little room for the rebuild...... I like the original rear arches, are you keeping them like that, or not? I think it is difficult to fit a wider wheel under the standard arches. Have you replaced the roof guttering if so what with ?

Rod
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod

My aim is to keep the rear wheel arches as they are so the widest wheels that will fit.The roof guttering is as per original.

Some years ago I thoroughly stripped the car of the engine/gearbox, front subframe and suspension, rear axle and suspension, doors, rear hatch and seats, even the internal steel tubes, and all this is stored in a small shed at the bottom of the garden.

I had new steel tubes made up by a local engineer as the originals were rusted thorough, disposed of the original Ford Cortina engine and acquired a 2 litre Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5-speed gearbox. The same engineer has welded in new threaded rods into the front subframe and removed the anti-dive ie the top and bottom threaded rods are parallel.

It's my aim NOT to allow the workshop to get cluttered as that will defeat the whole idea of building it. I've never ever been able to work in a spacious environment and even though I've three motorcycles to go in there and need to build a work bench and store lots of shelving, it's going to remain neat and tidy.
zefarelly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky I got mine built when I did, similar in size to Pauls, and its only at the bottom of the garden, even luckier was buying the lock up next door to it, knocking a door through and turning it into a machine shop . . . . I've still got another on rent for parts storage . . .and 4 cars in a barn on a farm!

it wouldn't be hard to find more crap to fill up the loft if I thought I could get away with it !
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James

PM'd you.

Paul
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After allowing a couple of months for the concrete floor to fully dry out, on Saturday I brought everything out of the workshop in preparation of painting the floor. With all clutter removed, I swept the floor from all of the dust - the screed creates quite a bit of dust - and 'painted' the floor with a special diluted acid etch to provide a key to the floor paint. Naturally I ran out and the paint shop was closed until Monday <doh>.

I'll get some more of the stuff today then give it's first coat of light grey garage floor paint, not the cheap and nasty stuff from the local DIY stores but top quality Bradite Polyurethane garage floor paint. I'll give the floor a couple of coats and then I'll be able to get all my bikes and shelving in there at last.

The work bench is built, and I now have a pillar drill and drinks fridge - a proper home-from-home Wink

On re-reading the instructions on the tins of paint, I have to sluice down the floor with clean water before allowing to dry then applying the paint. So another day goes by as I wait for things to dry.

Tuesday morning and still large damp patches all over the floor having been left overnight. I've a greenhouse heater warming the workshop as I speak and perhaps I can get a coat of floor paint down by the afternoon. This is really dragging on. At least there'll be no race to get the Olympic finished for my daughter's wedding on 10 July 2010, a promise I'd made when she was a little girl. She's now happy to be taken to the wedding (which will be held in a local brewery!) in a red Citroen 2CV. So that'll be my 6th 2CV Very Happy

Wednesday morning, still damp patches. It'll be the weekend before the floor is bone dry enough to paint. Damn.
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: workshop Reply with quote

Paul, Is the floor dry enough to paint yet?
Regards
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: