FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headlights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alec Gatherer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Headlights Reply with quote

My recently acquired Ph I 682 NDV has no lights at all.
I have found in my gubbins store rear lights that will suffice, though not with built-in reflectors, something that should easily be addressed.
However - it is the headlights that I could do with advice about.
I am told "VW Beetle sloping lights". Is that it? There seem to be two options, the fully-enclosed sloping lights and some with standard-looking 7" reflector units in a chromed housing, possibly with the option of an amber flashing bulb.
I would prefer the fully-enclosed. Do I need s/h ones from a VW enthusiast? Can you buy the whole shebang new? And what comprises a full headlight fitting kit?
John Plant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec

Yes they are early beetle or early Porsche headlights.

Shopping around on Ebay you can buy the whole thing, that is what I did for my ph1, the chrome rings are sometimes hard to find there are new ones but the chrome is rubbish.

I did have replacement kits in stock to replace with a sealed beam unit, but have none left now, you can buy these from a Bosch stockist.

I wanted to keep mine original so I just kept watching on Ebay and found what I wanted in the end, one of the hardest parts was the glass, but got there in the end

John
Alec Gatherer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks John. I will start searching. I usually put a Wanted ad in my Riley magazine, it's surprising who hoards what.
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Headlights Reply with quote

Alec,

I have a huge parts bin with lots of front light parts in it, I will look to see if I can build up a set if you want. As John says rims can be a problem but we have a few contacts for re chroming (as I am sure you have) and Roger Coupe did used to make new clear lenses.

I am sure we can sort out a set between us all.
Alec Gatherer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man Keith.
As per usual in my life I am totally unable to make a plan and stick to it; I have given up on planmaking and just respond a la tumbleweed to whatever life throws at me.
I am currently on the cusp of returning one of my 2½ RMs to the road after about 30 years so that we can go on holiday in it in a fortnight! Part of the confidence-building regime may well be the promised trip over to view Hamer Mansions and Restoration Complex.
But I am not exactly panicking for want of Olympic headlights.
What I mean to say is "yes please" to the offer of help re.
lights, but no rush.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: