FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic Supply Options Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Copper

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Olympic Supply Options Question Reply with quote

As a new member I have so many questions about the marque. But initially, I curious to know about the sales options. I understand that you could order an Olympic fully built, but what were the other options. Kit with engine and running gear for self build? Body shell only for self build where you source a donor car? Cheers David
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Olympics Reply with quote

As I understand it the theory was that you bought a complete kit of parts from Rochdale Motor Panels for the Olympic, this was done to avoid what was then purchase tax on fully built vehicles, Lotus did the same with there early Lotus sevens.

Some fully built cars were supplied through (I believe) 'other' sources.

RMP were not averse to making you a bespoke package by separate negotiation, my own lightweight was supplied as a special order to John Anstice-brown and was basically a body only.

Les Browns book is a most valuable source of information and is a pretty good read to boot.
Alec Gatherer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go way beyond your comment re. Les Brown's book Keith.
Not only is it an informative (probably the definitive source of info?) technical treatise on the cars made by RMP; it transcends the technical in a way I have never encountered before to create an entertaining mix of facts, speculation, background info, and anecdote to make for a wholly absorbing read that reaches far beyond that sought by a seeker of technical data.
My friends in the Riley world who have browsed my copy stand amazed (as do I) at the sheer readability of it.
In the unlikely event of any ROC Forum member not having a copy; just get one. Or more to the point, get badgering for a reprint. If you don't agree with my views on it, I will refund the money myself!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: