FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rochdale ST 97 EPG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Coyne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Rochdale ST 97 EPG Reply with quote

Hi there
I recently made contact with les Brown to purchase his book on Rochdales as I once owned an ST reg 97 EPG

I was stunned to learn that it's still around and he sent me some wonderful photos looking as almost to the day I sold it in its grey primer in 1981.

I purchased the ST as a 19 year old from a soldier in Pirbright for £75, in 1976,I still have the receipt !!

Between 1976 and 1981 I carried out the following work:

Boxed the chassis rail over full length as the chassis was flexible and the stiffening was recommended by g B Wake in the Ford specials builders manual

Converted the engine to 100E, cutting the sump off to reverse the sump well to clear the chassis rail, I taught my self to weld so delighted it did not leak!

Fitted 100E radiator on alloy frame

Fitted a high ratio back axle, purchased from somebody in maidenhead who had a garage full of Dellows trial cars. I had problem getting the preload correct and made my own gaskets to get it right, wonder if it survived?

Removed the body and laid 3 layers of chopped strand over the entire internal shell in a bid to further stiffen the body

Converted it to rack and pinion steering using a mini rack hung on a braced frame,

Fitted up rated rear shocks

Bonded in steel hinge plates

Prepared the shell and primed in grey

Fabricated a wonderful braced wooden dash with triumph spitfire instruments, this is the one in les photos!

Created dropped wooden floor heavily constructed with joints to further brace the chassis

The car had a Bellamy independent front conversion and rear panard rod

I had it running in the grey primer , the photos from les show it like this but not sure of his photo dates.

I was then posted to Fiji for about four years and my girl friend ,now wife ,sold the car in around 1981, I was devastated to let it go!

I have a raft of photos and even some associated parts

I currently own a berkeley t60 and 1960s BSA and triumph street tripleSR

I would love to make contact with the current owner to have a look over the car and pass on some related bits such as original chassis / engine plate, still nailed to my workshop door!!

If any body can help me track down the owner I would be very grateful

Perhaps I should seek out an Olympic as my next project?

Hope you guys can help?

Rod Porteous
20 South Road
Hayling

02392 460746
Bill Coyne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a shame it's left the country I would have loved to seen it , I effectively saved it from the scrap yard. How would I get details of the current owner?

I have a number of early photos of 97 EPG together with some of the rochdale works with moulds scattered around the yard and of Harry.

I will scan post to the web site and forward to les Brown. It will take me a couple of days to sort

Regards
Rod
Bill Coyne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi james

I have sent 20 photos of 97EPG during the rebuild plus some other photos of Rochdales and of Harry Smith in 1978 to les along with more history on the car.

If you e mail me I will send them to you as well as the ramble I sent him

Porteous.rod@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you
Regards
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> ST All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: