FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fitting tanks

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Steven Wood
Registered User


Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 102

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Fitting tanks Reply with quote

Hi

I am not manically minded but i am having a go at fitting some new tanks in the Olympic .

I bought these tanks and thought i would be able to to cut out the inner boot fiberglass sides and fit the tank .

The tanks are a perfect fit for the curvature of the wings and fit into the voids .

The support and petrol feed bars from tank to tank are too short and i will have to separate the tanks .

I am looking for any help or suggestions of the best way forward .

The fiberglass tanks had copper feed pipes . Should i blank the top hole ?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/karennwood3/media/SAM_1306.jpg.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
keith hamer
Site Admin


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 255
Location: Ellesmere Port

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Phase 2 fuel tanks Reply with quote

Steve,

Looking at the picture of the tanks I can see that they have been heavily modified from the original specification. Originally they would have been two separate tanks. The top of the left hand tank as you look at the picture has had an extra inlet fitted, that is the longer one of the two, and both tanks appear to have had the original fillers blanked off. There is also an extra 'balance pipe' fitted about half way up the tank, and a strap to hold the two tanks together. The feed pipe has also been replaced with a joining pipe to the two tanks.

The original idea when we had these tanks manufactured was to fit them to the original fillers with flexible hose and to fit the tanks into the old glassfibre tank area.

My suggestion would be that you need to remove and block off the extra filler, the balance pipe half way up the tank and the bracing strap. Cut the bottom feed pipe and use that with a tee piece and fuel feed hose to the pump.

When the tanks are separate it is a fairly easy job to fit the tanks in the original wings. A steel strap from the wheel arch to the boot floor should hold everything in place.

If you need any assistance restoring the tanks to original you have my e/mail address.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Steven Wood
Registered User


Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 102

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Phase 2 fuel tanks Reply with quote

keith hamer wrote:
Steve,

Looking at the picture of the tanks I can see that they have been heavily modified from the original specification. Originally they would have been two separate tanks. The top of the left hand tank as you look at the picture has had an extra inlet fitted, that is the longer one of the two, and both tanks appear to have had the original fillers blanked off. There is also an extra 'balance pipe' fitted about half way up the tank, and a strap to hold the two tanks together. The feed pipe has also been replaced with a joining pipe to the two tanks.

The original idea when we had these tanks manufactured was to fit them to the original fillers with flexible hose and to fit the tanks into the old glassfibre tank area.

My suggestion would be that you need to remove and block off the extra filler, the balance pipe half way up the tank and the bracing strap. Cut the bottom feed pipe and use that with a tee piece and fuel feed hose to the pump.

When the tanks are separate it is a fairly easy job to fit the tanks in the original wings. A steel strap from the wheel arch to the boot floor should hold everything in place.

If you need any assistance restoring the tanks to original you have my e/mail address.


Thanks Keith , i think i know someone who can do the modification to return it back but thanks for the information . Do you think an fire resistant foam would hold the tank and give protection ?

Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TonyS
Registered User


Joined: 17 Jan 2006
Posts: 219
Location: Worcestershire

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James,

This is a perfect example of what the forum should be all about.
Interactivity between members.
Helping members solve problems.
Lots of pictures showing the problems and how to solve them.

So why do the members not use it more? Three years since the last topic? - Its easy to use with a little practice.

Regards

Tony
_________________
Rochdale Olympic History Archive
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Steven Wood
Registered User


Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 102

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rochdaleproject wrote:
Steve,

Good luck at getting those tanks to slide in, even after modifying them back to original. When I cut my top hole there was no way the tank would slide in without modifying the underside, only slightly but it needed modifying. Some pictures below to assist with painting a picture.

I basically cut out the bottom panel, ground all the excess resin out of the bottom of the tank that was stopping the tank sitting properly, cleaned the edges, put some chopped strand on it, then topped it off with some gelcoat. It's rubbed down now, the tank is secure and doesn't need anything else to support it in the cavity. I'll try and post some pictures of the finished article soon.

My car is on its side at the moment which makes it easier to do!

Any questions then let me know?


James , Thanks for sharing your knowledge and the photo's are great . My first job is to modify the tanks back before i can move forward because the filler is in the wrong place ? I did try to fit the left hand side tank before taking advise. I cut away a small section in the boot and too be honest it seem's to fit? After fitting should be flush with the inner boot side but time will tell? I sure that their still will be a small cavity between the chrome tank and the bottom of the car/old tank?

Its seems all but's and should be's with me and i am sure i will be painting a more clearer picture over the next few weeks ?

Once again thanks and i will let you know how i go on over the next couple of weeks ?

Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
John Plant
Registered User


Joined: 07 Nov 2010
Posts: 114
Location: Herefordshire

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

I have a pair of tanks that fit into my Ph2 very well without the cutting out that James has done, a hole has been cut out inside and they fit in good.

I will get some photos of the tanks over the weekend and post them on the forum.

John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Steven Wood
Registered User


Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 102

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Plant wrote:
Steve

I have a pair of tanks that fit into my Ph2 very well without the cutting out that James has done, a hole has been cut out inside and they fit in good.

I will get some photos of the tanks over the weekend and post them on the forum.

John

Thanks John , i look forward to seeing the photo's .Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Steven Wood
Registered User


Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 102

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rochdaleproject wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Thanks James,

This is a perfect example of what the forum should be all about.
Interactivity between members.
Helping members solve problems.
Lots of pictures showing the problems and how to solve them.


Tony


Hi Tony, I hope your recovering well? I agree, it's been lacking activity for sometime now. Lots of members but only 5 or so regular users.....

As we've always said, the website needs a makeover.

Tony/Jame's

I will be working on the car every alternate weekend and will be asking loads of technical questions ?

Thanks

Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
John Plant
Registered User


Joined: 07 Nov 2010
Posts: 114
Location: Herefordshire

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have now taken photos and are attached. I do not know if they are the original Rochdale tank or that they are what Paul L had made, But they came with the car when I bought it.
They do fit well in the sides where the old fibreglass tanks were.











Regards

John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Steven Wood
Registered User


Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 102

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="John Plant"]
Hi
I have now taken photos and are attached. I do not know if they are the original Rochdale tank or that they are what Paul L had made, But they came with the car when I bought it.
They do fit well in the sides where the old fibreglass tanks were.

Regards John.

Thanks for the photo's . Looking at mine yours look's a bit smaller ?Had a couple of hours today and its looking like i will have to cut some body work away ?

Cheers Steve
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group