FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre 1960 MOT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Pre 1960 MOT Reply with quote

We have just finished off some work on a Rochdale GT, this car has a date of first registration of 1961, however the base vehicle (all parts of which were used in its conversion) is a Ford E93A which the common knowledge says ceased production around 1953.

We spoke to both the DVLA and VOSA to ask about pre 1960 exemption and were pointed to the form V112 which is a simple claim for exemption.

The answer from DVLA talked a little more in depth and stated :-

Acceptable dating evidence can be obtained from:

• An extract from the manufacturer/factory record - these will have the chassis number of the vehicle against the month and year of production*

• An extract from the 'Glasses guide'- which is a comprehensive guide on production dates and includes chassis numbers

• If the vehicle has been imported and already registered, the original foreign registration certificate.

*A certified copy of the factory record (with the embedded stamp) will be acceptable only from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust (BMIHT)

None of this was available for the GT we had just been working on.

The good news however is that we took the GT to our MOT man (he does all our MOT testing on Rochdale's so is very aware of there querks) and short of having to adjust the headlamp aim the car flew through. It even went on the brake rollers, and despite still being on drums with rod operated brakes (we did clean and adjust everything) its brake readings were not far from that of an Olympic and balanced to boot.

The drive to and from the MOT station was interesting as it was p.....g down and the car still has vacuum wipers which simply stop when you accelerate, apart from that it is a nice little, very original example.

Robert Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to get my GT back on the road, it is a 1960 registration but like yours is still on the original ford chassis etc.
I spoke to my local garage and he told me that if I just wanted to getthe car on the road to sort it out mechanically before painting and trimming etc that he could issue a day time only MOT (no lights needed). And as for wipers etc if there is no glass in the car you don't need wipers. He even went so far as to say that if I wanted to book it in and drive it there with no doors, that was up to me !!!

Is there any chance I could have a look at any other pics you have, I would be paricularly interested in the engine bay and the interior.
Also do you have the original sliding windows, if so do you have any advice as to how the 'legs' of the window frame should be fixed to the door.
I bought my car as a bag of bits (lots of which were missing!) I have now sourced most bits I need, but I have no reference as to how it all fitted together.

Regards
Bob Taylor GT 2232MK
John Plant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert

I am rebuilding my GT now which like yours and Keith's is an original untouched version.

If it helps Google "Rochdale GT photobucket" and there are several photos when I was stripping mine down and a coulpe of the doors with the window mechanism inside.

All my running gear and chassis is finished now just waiting for the body to go back on. I will try and get some up to date photos added to the GT part of Photobucket.

Hope this helps

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> GT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: