FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Northampton area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert James

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Northampton area Reply with quote

Hi All just got my ph 1 anyone in the northampton area restored similar, usual hinge and saggy door story but its all there.

by all mean give me a ring

Cheers Rob James Smile
robh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

A breif reply to your queries:
The brake and clutch master cylinder and assiciated pedal box on my Phase 1 are mini items - I assume yours will be the same - and so parts/replacements should be easy to get.
Door hinges are a perennial topic. The original arrangement can be made to work (with care) - but not exactly as it left the factory! The crucial thing in this instance is that the axes of the upper and lower hinges are aligned. Unfortunately the door moulding has to be modified slightly to achieve this!
The alternative (which I have now adopted) is the "Farrer" approach involving a mod so that rod ends are used for the hinge pivots. Alan has descibed this in one of the club magazines.
The moulds for the doors still exist and so can still be made if you can't find anyone who has a spare.
My car is currently in bits near Bedford - and so not too far from you if you're interested in popping down to have a look at the hinges, etc.

Cheers,

Robert
Robert James

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert

Been abroad sorry for delay in reply. My M/Cyl is I have now found out to be a MGA combined type and I have discovered that any replacements are about £200 from old MG suppliers so with that in mind I have replaced all of the brake fluid and so far seem to be holding pressure with no leaks yet ( under non running conditions of course). Did you find the Alan Farrer method easy to do as it looks a bit daunting to me ? It also looks like the hinge mountings on the doors are shot also so it may be that I just replace that section with a new moulding, do you have or do you know if the moulds are available for the doors. I would be interested in seeing your ph1 my business is in cogenhoe which is just off the bedford rd out of northampton give me a ring sometime 07795962565

Cheers Rob
robh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't think there are any easy solutions with the doors!

Will give you a call when I know when I'll next be working on the car.

Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: