FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stainless steel springs and surface treatment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barrie Jones

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Stainless steel springs and surface treatment Reply with quote

Beginning to get the hang of this computing/interfangle business but will try not to bore/overload fellow members with too much Rochdale related trivia.
Does anybody have any views on painting/powder coating club supplied stainless steel road springs?
I am vaguely aware that stainless does corrode but slowly (surface corrosion seems accelerated if the part is locally heated, say, to bend a 8mm bar or some such) but is there any benefit to having my new road springs powder coated before being fitted? How much will their surface finish deteriorate if left in their post production state?
Any and all views would be appreciated.
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert but, powder coating is very brittle and as the springs flex I would imagine that the powder coating would develop minute cracks. This exposes one of powder coating's weaknesses and water will enter these fissures, and be trapped , therefore your stainless steel springs would be unprotected.

For that major reason I would try 2 pack paint, I believe there is an additive to make it more flexible for bumpers etc. At least paint could be readily stripped off the springs whereas powder coating can not.

Why not leave them as they are, most car springs survive the weather. By the way, I don't know of any other car springs made of stainless steel, but as I said, I am no expert.

Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: