FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic Ex Fred Blackmore
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Owners Cars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Youles

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Olympic Ex Fred Blackmore Reply with quote

Have commenced work modifying the above car for competition use.

If of interest here is a link to photographs so far on Flickr: -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_youles/

Car should be ready at the end of May.
Michael Youles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Phase 2 Reply with quote

Have uploaded a few more photographs of our build process here....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_youles/sets/72157626451396835/
Steven Wood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Phase 2 Reply with quote

Michael Youles wrote:
Have uploaded a few more photographs of our build process here....

Michael

Cant wait to see the finished car its going to be a real credit to you and i am sure all members will be envious .

These cars need one or both of the following :
A person with good all round mechanical skills or/and someone with very deep pockets. As i have none at the moment i can only wait for the day one arrives to make all the quality but sympathetic changes ? Laughing Mr. Green .

Steve
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a quality, well-engineered, rebuild. It would appear that you have thought hard to overcome the weaknesses of the original design, yet you have kept it simple - brilliant !

What fuel tank are you using ? What with the arrival of ethanol fuel most of us will have to replace the original tanks.

Also, what steering rack is that ?

Keep the photos coming!

Rod
Michael Youles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Rochdale Olympic racer Reply with quote

Many thanks for the kind comment.

As for fuel tank, this is a bespoke item manufactured to my requirements by Gartrac Ltd, who made the jig and front sub-frame for me.

Steering rack is a quick ratio Triumph Spitfire/Vitesse

Regards
Michael Youles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Race Car Reply with quote

More photographs of progress here...

Will be returning car to the ramp tomorrow and will take further photographs of the rear axle which is fitted except for the panhard rod - in manufacture - and the modification to the rear drums, required as a result of the increased thickness of the hubs on the strengthened half shafts.

By using an A40 axle, 3" narrower than the Riley, we have managed to fit 5.5" rims inside the standard wheel arches by putting an indentation in the rear trailing arms we manufactured. Loosing the spacers on the front has also facilitated this but the high profile tyres, dictated by the series we intend running the car in, means the wheel arches are a pretty close fit with the lowered ride height

Engine and gearbox is now fitted awaiting final fit-up and then transportation to have the exhaust system made.

Tomorrow I should complete the door side windows, a perspex sliding arrangement, and then it is just a case of final detailing.

I expect to start testing in three weeks time.
Michael Youles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Olympic Ex-Fred Blackmore Reply with quote

More progress, more pictures posted in usual place.
TonyS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Car is looking great, please is there any chance we can have the car on the stand at the Classic Car Show in November at the NEC.
ps It would be a good advert for your Company?

Regards
Tony
Michael Youles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: NEC Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

Providing we don't have any clashing commitments I don't see it being a problem having the car at the NEC.

Thank you for your kind offer.

Best regards,

Mike
Michael Youles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Ex Blackmore car Reply with quote

Despite the best laid plans, customer car commitments meant that work on the Rochdale was postponed.

That being said, having entered the HRDC race at Snetterton today, we worked evenings of last week and all day Friday and although the car was far from finished we decided to attend the meeting.

We thought the carb jetting to be somewhere close and without a rolling road set up used a fairly conservative timing and the engine fired for the first time Friday.

Arrived at the circuit Saturday midday (having changed the front springs following consideration over a few beers Friday night) we continued to complete the car.

Early start this morning to complete further work and by 8.32am we got the car scrutineered. At 9.00am, the car moved under its own steam for the first time (apart from driving off the trailer) and that was qualifying.

A funny incidence was that leaving the collecting area the throttle jammed open momentarily - more of that later. We only had 15 minutes so used time to run in the engine before trying a little harder towards the end of the session.

Problems encountered.... car slow to pick up out of corners (thought at the time this was a jetting issue) car hopelessly overgeared (we knew this before arriving having made a mistake over tyre diameters) so not using fourth and having to use first in three places (not ideal). Brake balance not right, too much rear bias.

Despite this surprised to qualify fourth, and the pole sitter was by invitation and not in the series.

After qualifying, more work to finish car but come race time car would not start. Turns out the throttle sticking was part of the accelorater pump mechanism falling off! So no race but loads of potential.

More photos on Flickr soon.
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, fantastic to have another Rochdale out there competing...I look forward to seeing your progress.
Michael Youles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your encouragement Paul. We are delighted that such a unique car proved itself so well against established competition first time out.

Photos loaded here....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=216815061716482&set=a.216813831716605.56284.125329504198372&type=1&theater#!/photo.php?fbid=216813875049934&set=a.216813831716605.56284.125329504198372&type=1&permPage=1

Not by me as I'm not a Facebook user but my business partner Tony Pattison's son Luke who runs our website.

Will upload more to Flickr later.
calex_fr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Mike Wink

from France
Michael Youles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added a few more photographs on Flickr.

Have now re-instated the rear wheel arches through the generous assistance of Derek Bentley who provided his set. The car looks much better.

Returned to Snetterton with carb repaired and stiffer rear springs but an issue with the gearbox curtailed too much testing but I think stiffer rear springs are still the order of the day.

Will install our new gearbox for the NEC Classic car show and then more testing after a few more developments..
TonyS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qualifying for the HRDC race at Snetterton Oct 2nd 2011.

Hi Mike,

Good old 1960s racing with the inside front wheel in the air.

The car looks fantastic, well done Mike, I can not wait to see the car on the stand, it will be the star of the show and in all the Classic Car Magazines.

Kind regards
Tony

ps) Photo before the rear wheel arches were re-instated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Owners Cars All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: