FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HINGE UPDATE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert James

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: HINGE UPDATE Reply with quote

Well here we go . decided to finally get started on the job I have been dreading "THE HINGES" quick resume- NS hinge mounting on door 3/10 but with work recoverable...Hinge boxes 0/10 completely destroyed by previous attempts....SOLUTION rebuild door mountings to allow the hinges to allign perfectly, I have got a 10mm ss rod which the door will be mounted on a'la' Keith Hamer the hinges were suspended in this while I rebuilt the F/G to suit the holes on hinges. F/G App 10mm thick in door mountings now so should hold up, the SS pin will be inserted through a hole I have had to cut in the wing top and will be located at sill level by a block with a 10mm sleeve which will bolted from the outside with 2 small chrome dome nuts to be as unobrusive as possible, at the top it will be located by a washer and lock nut through the top of the upper hinge box which is the only usable section left, it will be reinforced of course.....Now the O/S door, completely opposite the door hinge section is completely shot with cracks and splits and bodged repairs all over the area but the hinge boxes are 9/10 so solution is going down the Alan Farrer route by using rose joints, ( I got mine from McGill motorsports on ebay for £3 something) I have so far, based on the fact that with rose joints the location of the hinge on the door is not so crutial rebuilt the door mounting points with about 10mm F/G and I have yet to do the alterations to the hinge boxes so watch this space.
One thing I have noticed is that both doors are in appaling condition and have needed loads of small F/G repairs just to hold them together ,this must be the norm for a 1962 car I suppose. I have also suddenly realised that the doors are both different mouldings on the inside one has a section at the bottom which slopes 45 degrees the other one is flat could be different phases I suppose. Anyway enough ranting anyone like to comment on the above all construtive ideas very gratefully recieved
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey Rob, somebody's actually posted in this sadly neglected forum at last Sad
Robert James

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thanks Paul however you notice the posting has had 10 visits

DON'T JUST LOOK ! POST A REPLY

but by the fact that 10 people have looked at least it means the site is being looked at if not used

Rob
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some forums send the poster an email letting them know that their post has been replied to. I think it's only by chance that I pop in here once in a blue moon.

Heck, what do I know? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: