FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic Phase 1 GUY 541C
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Owners Cars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/q9SqeCmqsXs

First competitive event for the Rochdale in 23 years...Up against all sorts of road cars....Lotus Elans, Westfield V8, Subaru, Racing Puma, Alfa Giulia, D Type Replica....Formula Fords for heavens sake???....and only beaten by a Ferrari 348 Competizione homologation special...Love that noise over the finish line....listen to it through headphones...MMMMmmmmmmmmm...... Very Happy
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know I am competing in the Rochdale at Shelsley Walsh this weekend......24 years after the last visit with the Rochdale

Last edited by Paul Gething on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelsley Squelch.........

Paul Gething

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go....Shelsley Walsh this weekend....Ended up 2nd in class...a good result.

A bit smokey...but investigation shows that I didn't fit valve stem oil seals when the head was last off...Duh? Rolling Eyes

Will have the head off next weekend and will post some photo's as it is a work of art and shouldn't be kept hidden.

http://youtu.be/p1I0SjpX6FE
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storming out of the Top Ess at Shelsley........

Photo by Richard Sloman
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yesterday we did the MAC sprint at MIRA, not the Shower people, the Motor Industry Research Area (Association?)...the high security test centre in Warwickshire...No camera's etc.......so no pics, I am afraid.

Interesting seeing 2 Jaguars continuously circulating on the high speed banked circuit at exactly 100mph for hour upon hour. Only stopping for fuel....Who said the job of a test driver would be exciting.

This is a VERY fast course.....the Rochdale was fantastic...I had never been to this course before so was on a steep learning curve.....flat with very fast sweeping bends...100+ mph......Not a foot was put wrong....ended up I think with a first in class....TVR, Marcos, Gilbern V6, etc....in front of a lot of Porkers, some Westfields and other assorted Sports Cars. Driven to the event...and home, thank goodness, whilst all of the others were trailered...some running Slicks.Shocked

The chassis is really sorted now....1\4 inch adjustment on the roll bars or a 2psi adjustment in the tyres make a noticeable difference.

In F1 speak.....there are a number of upgrades due which should increase our competitiveness for the next meeting, although the aero package will be kept a constant. In other words, the head is coming off this weekend for a good clean up...I think that it will give an increase in performance.......We will see.

Next outing Shelsley Walsh June 4/5....A celebration of 50 years of the E Type and 60 years of the C Type, Jaguar that is. There will be some Lightweights and Low Drag bodied versions there as well as the many others....it is also a round of the British Hillclimb Championship. So if you want to see F1 up a country lane do come along. I hope to see some of you there.

By the way, feel free to make any comments on the thread as I see it as a Blog/History of a year with the Rochdale.........any inputs, comments would be gratefully received.

Found a couple of pictures of the Rochdale at Mira.....Excuse the poor numbers on the side of the car....but I thought as there weren't any cameras........Oh well......

Last edited by Paul Gething on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been sent this link of the Rochdale approaching the Esses at Shelsley........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ocrxg6GEJ0
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selected shots from Shelsley Walsh....it does look the Mutz Nutz.

and a few others.......

http://www.zipp.co.uk/gallery/Shelsley-Walsh-2011-05-08/Paul+Gething_+Rochdale+Olympic+ID4344.jpg.html#scroll

http://www.zipp.co.uk/gallery/Shelsley-Walsh-2011-05-08/Paul+Gething_+Rochdale+Olympic+ID4343.jpg.html
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the head off I took some photo's.......

Here are the well modified combustion chambers....

With the valves fitted back in.....1.75"/ 44mm inlets with 1.4"/ 36mm exhaust valves....huge......

Not much space between inlet and exhaust valves, is there?

Very narrow/thin valve seats....

Nice shiny ports that mate up perfectly with the manifolds....

Here is the modified rocker gear...rockers are tapered and ground down at the end to reduce the reciprocating mass and the horrible lump of weld just under the adjusting nut has been ground off for the same reason.
Hidden away are the later, shorter tappets along with the longer pushrods..again a saving in moving weight..
Tubes replace the springs as distance pieces between the rockers as the high lift cam could cause some problems there.

The modifications were done by a guy called Les Ryder, who when I got to know him he was well into his late 70's. He was the 'B' series man...he worked closely with MG and in particular Bill Nicholson.
BN was to MGB's what Gerry Marshall was to Vauxhalls.
I took the head over to a council estate in Coventry to meet Les. In his back garden, in a large shed, he had all of his gear set up....unbelievable stuff was in there, a real treasure trove. Climax, BRM, Ford, Cosworth and of course 'B' series stuff. Any way he built and modified the head I use today.
This weekend is Shelsley, June 4/5, I hope now that it is cleaned up I can put it to good use.
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelsley Walsh....June 5th....it rained and it rained and it rained....... Twisted Evil

After the last meeting the head came off and subsequent clandestine road tests showed a good increase in performance....so I was really looking forward to having a real go at Shelsley.

A sub 40 second run up Shelsley in a road car is pretty quick, a 38 is very very good and a 37 is mighty.......36 and below in a road going car is an awesome time....So! Hoping for a dry meeting I was aiming to get into the 38's by the end of the meeting.....In May all of the runs were in the rain.....so I was praying for a few dry runs.......

It rained both days and the only marginally dry run was this one....a 39.02...close, but no cigar.

Still came second in class against some heavyweight machinery so we held our end up......oh for a dry meeting.

Anyway the video....I wish I could get the camera to record a proper exhaust note, because on here it sounds like a flatulent cow......nothing like the real noise. This was the second practice run...on a drying track. The next run would have eliminated the slight lift into Kennel, Crossing and I was braking waaaaayyyy to early into the bottom Ess....so what would a dry run bring?

A 37 methinks...but you still have to go out and do it.....please can I have a dry Shelsley!!!!!

http://youtu.be/KVLM4XjW4tU
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice man...a very nice man made a video of the Rochdale at the May and June Shelsleys.

I am desperate for a dry meeting.

Enjoy........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Np9TabM4pk
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend we competed at the MAC MIRA Sprint. The second time there, I mentioned in a previous post we were there in May when it was cold, windy and miserable. This time it was the complete opposite. No cameras allowed so no pictures, but.....There was a class there for the Ferrari Owners Club Challenge. These guys compete all year at many different venues, the cars are well sorted and are driven as a Ferrari should be. Some are driven to the event, the rest on trailers but they all have to be road going.

As a comparison I have listed below the details of the class and put the Rochdales performance in amongst the Ferraris.

The 1st 64ft are measured and as you can see the Ferraris, being in the main rear engined, are quick. I had a problem getting cleanly off the start but we were not too shabby.

The speed trap is just before the braking zone for the right hander, it is deceptive because it is blind and off camber. I had too much understeer through the first long left hander, which I have now sorted and will be aiming for over 100mph when I go back there.

The split time is on the entry to the right hander.

Overall 9th quickest against the 23 Ferraris, all driven with spirit and con brio. I think the little Rochdale held its own.....and it was driven to the event.Very Happy

As no photos of MIRA....The Rochdale poking it's nose out of its garage.

Paul Gething

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and this weekend we are back at Shelsley Walsh......why not pop down and see a Rochdale showing up a few of the younger cars.....I hope!!!

TonyS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Shelsey Walsh 21-08-2011 Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Sent to me by Colin Ellis

Regards Tony

Paul Gething

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A video of our class at Shelsley Walsh in August.

The misfire on the first run was a fuel filter issue and the slightly smokey exhaust was cured for the next event by changing spark plug leads...REALLY.

The Lucas silicone leads were replaced with some Magnecor KV85 (red leads). With no other mods it was 3 mph quicker through the traps at Shelsley and revs cleanly through to 7000rpm.......Shocked Amazed or what.

Any way enjoy the video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMbdOtV_CWY&feature=related
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Owners Cars All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: