FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Series Gearbox rebuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Hoffman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: A Series Gearbox rebuild Reply with quote

Hello, does anyone know about shimming an A series gearbox. The box I'm using is out of a 1098 minor. I have a workshop manual but no where does it give clearences on the main or lay shaft. You can buy different size bronze washers between 3rd and 4th and also for the rear of the lay shaft. Have been internet trawling for days with no luck. Question
Dave-M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: A series gearbox Reply with quote

Jason, Laygear endfloat is .001" to .003", sizes of thrust washer are from 0.123" to 0.131".
There are 2 steel thrust washers between 1st & 2nd and 3rd & 4th but it does not say that they come in different sizes.
Shims of different thickness are used under the front and rear covers, presumably to set bearing pre-load.
Source:- Genuine BMC workshop manual for A40 mk1 & mk2 (1968)
Regards
Dave
Ps, it might be worth searching for Mini info, it's quite likely to be the same.
Jason Hoffman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for that little gem. There must be a clearance for the main gear set. The shims on the two main bearing only hold the bearing in place against the split ring into the housing,what happens between is up to two other shims.This is the last piece of the puzzle. I've read that the gear sets were used for many years ending up in the mini.Will try that avenue next.
Dave-M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: A series box Reply with quote

Jason, After more searching the only info I can find regarding mainshaft end float is:- (Measure the end float of the second and third speed gears, this should be 0.0035" to 0.0055".) There is no suggestion as to what to do if it is not within tolerance.
Source:- BMC mini workshop manual Issue1 & Early Haynes Mini manual
Hope this helps
Regards
Dave
Jason Hoffman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: thanks again Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, that's great. You can get different washers sizes through morris minor parts dealers,likes of Birmingham morris minor , etc. Now I can build box gearbox. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: