FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Axles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Rear Axles Reply with quote

I need to replace the pinion oil seal on my Ph II (Riley axle).

Is the pinion preload controlled with a collapsible spacer as per Fords ?

Thanks,

Howard
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard, I am pretty sure the pinion preload is controlled by shims. What I usually do is to mark the nut and the end of the pinion shaft so that I can retighten to the exact point that it was before. I also use a torque wrench to check what torque it is at before I undo the nut. Good luck!

Rod
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rod,

Thanks, I'll do that !

Howard
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Rear Axle Ratio Reply with quote

Having got my Ph II back on the road and undertaking a number of longish journeys, I find it somewhat undergeared ( 3500 RPM at a true 60 MPH). This is making progress rather frenetic !

There's plenty of torque to pull a higher ratio. This would also make gears 1,2,and 3 more useful as currntly I'm in 4th gear at 30mph from which it pulls away smoothly.

Any advice please on what options, if any, are available ?

I don't want to change the rear axle casing if possible.

Thanks,

Howard
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Rear axle ratios Reply with quote

Howard,

If you are running the Riley axle the standard ratio is 3.7 ish to 1. Morris 1000's, Sprites, Midget's etc all use the same differential, in numerous ratios. I am pretty sure you can get 3.6:1 and 3.5:1 I think these were Marina and Dolomite ratios, we had a 2.8:1 made for our race car so it is possible to get effectively any ratio at a price. Either the 3.6 or the 3.5 will make your gearing taller and may help.

Another alternative may be to fit 14" wheels if you are currently running 13", we have a farely ready supply of 14" x 5" minators at 4" PCD and the correct offset to fit the standard rear arches. I use these on my phase 1 with 165/70 x 14" tyres.

Hope this helps.
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Rear Axle Reply with quote

Hello Keith,

Thanks for advice. I'm currently on 13" Minators with 80 section tyres giving a diameter of approximately 22.5".
Do you know the equivalent with your 14" setup ?
I'd like to retain the 80 sections to get the best ride comfort, so I'll look into the differential alternatives.
Do they all have the same half shaft spline dimensions ?

Thanks,

Howard
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Rear axle Reply with quote

The 165/70 x 14's on my phase 1 have just measured 22.5", I guess that option isn't worth following.

As far as I am aware all the 'A' series differentials / half shafts have the same splline diameter and number of splines.
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Rear Axles Reply with quote

Hello Keith,

Thanks again for your help. I'll search out a replacement 'diff' !

Howard
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Rear axle Reply with quote

I have just been doing a little research and it has been sugested that the Ford diff may fit an 'A' series axle, I will look furthur into this.

If this is correct the Fords have different ratios again, the only down side is that they are cast iron therefore much heavier.

Will let you know later.
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: rear axles Reply with quote

Hello Keith,

That's a surprise ! I would be interested to learn more ! In the meantime, if you stumble across a BMC axle with a higher than standard ratio, I would be interested in aquiring it !

Thanks again.

Howard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: