FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rochdale Olympic door handles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Rochdale Olympic door handles Reply with quote

As some may know I have been 'playing' with these cars for some time now, one of the things which has iluded me has been the origins of the door handles which were fitted to the Olympic.

From the cars we have worked on over the years I have established that there are basicaly two different types of exterior door handles. Both use the same internals, and basicaly work in the same manner. The passinger door is locked using the internal handle, the drivers door is locked with a key from the outside. Both types of door handle are set up so that the button cannot be pressed in when the key is in the locked possition.

There has been much disscussion over the years about Mini, Reliant, etc door handles, these fit but don't operate in the correct way. Although they can be made to work it is a difficult job and potentialy problematic in operation.

The good news is I have found out the origin of one type of Olympic door handle (we are still working on the source of the other type) and it is certainly one I wouldn't have come up with as an obvious candidate.

Try P4 Rover 90, 100, 110 etc.

I have just bought some old ones and compared them with the ones on my car and can confirm that they are definately the ones. If you buy a full set as I did you end up with 3 which are not lockable and one with the key operated button. They are all totaly interchangable so you can pick the best two to use on the car, and change the key button into the one you intend to use as the drivers door handle.

Just out of interest I am having some of both types re-chromed.

As an aside to all this I am looking for a source of 1958ish Mk 14 Lotus Elite door handles, these came from the Hillman Husky (and I believe Commer Cob) originaly, they are similar to the MGB GT rear door / hatch handle. Any information which may help track this very difficult to obtain item would be appreciated.
leselliott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Door Handles Reply with quote

Keith
I did source some handles for the club (I think from Speedy Spares at Shoreham) and had original part numbers from the Wilmot Breeden catalogue.
I will have a rummage and see if I can find them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: