FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rochdale Marque Publication ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Rochdale Marque Publication ? Reply with quote

General Question:- Has anyone ever produced a publication on RMP and the Marque ?

If not, is anyone working on something ?

If not, does anyone think that there would be sufficient interest in the marketplace to buy such a publication in numbers that would make ROC some money ?

I think it deserves something !

Thoughts please.

Howard Evans
Dave-M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: publication Reply with quote

Howard, I for one think it would be a terrific idea, especially if it were to incorporate fresh information and plenty of pictures.
If members are happy to buy old newsletters at £1 each I think that a fair price could be charged.
Are you volunteering? If so I would be happy to help you with some of the research.
Regards
Dave
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dave,

I'm 'sort of' volunteering in the sense that I think the marque deserves something to communicate that this was not just any old kit car supplier, but one whose lineage from the 50s to the 70s was innovatory and ultimateley spawned the Olympic from which so much could have followed !

I have written and had published a number of technical papers in the automotive electrical field, so I don't underestimate what work would be incurred or the time it would take.

However, if there were a consensus within the Club that it would provide information and and be prepared to help with peer reviews and ultimately the publication, I would be willing to contribute towards putting something together.

Cheers,

Howard
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Les,

I understand the point, but I think the story is not just about the evolution of the cars but their significance and relevance to the maketplace during the decades they were being developed and sold.

Also the key personnel, Smith, Butterworth and Parker's roles in the rise and decline in the marque, and the history of the Hudson Street and Littledale Mill sites, the design and manufacturing processes etc. could make interesting reading.

Finally the story of the club, technical details of the products and some of the statistics of what was made, where it was sold, what the vehicle specs were and what's left today would be relevant.Maybe I'm turning into an Anorak, but if I could purchase a well-written book on an interesting niche marque that peaked in the 60s when vehicles were finally leaving behind their pre and early post-war design concepts and becoming 'modern', I would be prepared to buy it.

Perhaps the first step would be to produce a storyboard which could be used to test the water ?

Cheers,

Howard
Dave-M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: publication Reply with quote

Les, Lotus owners don't generally change everything during a rebuild but there is a growing number who fit aftermarket chassis and
z-tec engines, but I guess that it's their choice irrespective of what others may think.
For my part, I can not see any benefit in doing that to an old car, I would just buy a modern car which would probably cost less and perform better.
Howard, The thing that facsinates (sp) me about the concept of the Olympic is as follows:-
Compared with Lotus the dvelopment followed two very different paths and the Rochdale path was way in front of the Lotus approach but it lacked the "devil may care" approach of Mr Chapman.
I can't but be amazed how Rochdale accepted the "New" GRP technology and just made the moulds and produced the cars, all in an old cotton mill in Lancashire, Lotus on the other hand were poncing about with Bristol cars and losing money on every Elite they produced.
I know the popular misconception is that Rochdales are Kit cars, but so are Lotus as they were both sold partly assembled to avoid purchase tax, the Vat of the time.
Lotus went on to bigger and better? things and Rochdale perished but if it had been the other way round I think we would have had a better classic icon.
Howard, If you are up for it I will give you 100% of my effort, it has to be worth doing and if all the members can add their bit I am sure it will be a sucess
Regards
Dave

Last edited by Dave-M on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I'll start by knocking up a storyboard just to flesh out a structure, and then put it back in the Pub for comment.

Dependent upon feedback received, I'll either go for or abandon the idea.

If the former I will first discuss with the Club officers in order to solicit their buy-in.

Thanks for your thoughts and support.

Howard
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Here goes with a possible storyboard :-

Introduction - driving forces behind the writing and publication of the book

British Motor Industry in the 1950s - shortages, the export drive, carryover pre-war models esp E93A. Rise of the 'special' market. Overview of the key players.

The Aluminium Cars - models, descriptions, applications, sporting connections, reviews

The Glass Fibre Cars - as above

GT and Riviera - concept advances over the previous cars, design features, powertrains, Ford, Rochdale and other chassis appications

British Motor Industry in 1960 - significant new models Anglia, Mini, Herald. Technical advances. Olympic in this context and cf. contemporary sports cars.

Olympic - concept, description, development, performance, sporting connections, reviews, comparisons with the Elite.

Olympic Ph II - advances/development cf. above.

Opportunity Lost ? - decline in the 70s, the US market, manufacture by 'volume' supplier, concept and development of 'DUFFY', performance. reviews, etc.

Manufacturing - processes, Hudson Street, the fire, what was salvaged, Littledale Mill etc.

Statistics - numbers made by model, key dimensions, performance, costs, what survives and where. Comparisons with competitors.

Biographies - Smith, Butterworth, Parker

Owners Club - overview of history, aims and objectives.

Acknowledgements - bibliography and references

Thoughts/ feedback welcome,

Thanks,

Howard
TonyS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I also have been waiting for Paul to reply to this thread, because as James wrote,
Paul did start to write a book, but I think problems with trying to get it published put a stop to it, but pages and pages of the book were written in past club magazines
(which is a good time at this point to remind members of the CD now availably to members for the bargain price of £10 inc p&p (it would cost £100 to buy the equivalent magazines) newer members could then read past articles and be upto date with the history of the club)
At the Classic Car Show in 2008 Derek Bentley spoke to Martyn Morgan Jones about writing a book on Rochdales and Martyn said he would consider it after he had completed his next book, so Derek may have more information on this.

I think the storyboard and members putting forward ideas of what they would like to see in a book is a sound idea for any future book.

One of the items that regularly come up at the AGM is the need for a Technical/DIY manual for the Olympic. This needs someone to read the post on the web and all the past club magazines and bring all the articles on things like door hinges, window frames, brakes, suspension, electrics (specially wire ring looms), bodywork, steering etc, there must be 4 or 5 different ways of rebuilding door hinges it would be nice to get them under one heading in a manual by someone with technical and writing abilities, any offers?

Regards
Tony
Mike Wood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rochdale Marque Publication ? Reply with quote

Howard Evans wrote:
General Question:- Has anyone ever produced a publication on RMP and the Marque ?

If not, is anyone working on something ?

If not, does anyone think that there would be sufficient interest in the marketplace to buy such a publication in numbers that would make ROC some money ?

I think it deserves something !

Thoughts please.

Howard Evans

Hi

I agree, a book would be good. Keep it well structured and tightly edited. Use primary sources, rather than recycling 'facts' and myths. Information carefully selected and edited from old and new interviews, factory records, contemporary road tests/features are great, as well as photos. LAT should have many of the negatives for pictures published in Motorsport and Motoring News, including all the extra ones taken, but never published (extra pics on a factory tour at Rochadle?).

The archive pics that appear on this website could be used (such as the racing Olympic in Ireland), carefully researching the background and getting permission form the copyright holders - nothing makes me wince more than marque books that just use pics from a recent owners' club rally.

A technical section on specification and period and recent modifications would be good, as well as grp and mechanical restoration (e.g. the info on the VORD website, as well as this forum and the mag. Sounds like a chapter for Keith Harmer to edit). Again using checked facts, not just reprinted numbers (for example give a range of actual weights).

Look at existing publishers of similar texts, such as MRP and PSL/Haynes. They may be interested in an outline for a well structured, researched and edited text. Writing about Rochdale in context about what else was happening, such as at Lotus as well as other Ford special builders, and the competition story and technical aspects would probably help.

Good luck
Best wishes
Mike Wood
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents,

So, there is a degree of interest, but others have gone there before without reaching a successful conclusion. There is information out there that has been produced with a publication in mind but nothing has materialised.

It sounds like it would be interesting for all parties with previous and current interests to swap notes !?

Maybe, together we could combine our efforts to a successful outcome ?

If anyone has anything relevant, or a wish to progress the matter, please get in touch.

Cheers,

Howard
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Rochdale Marque Publication ? Reply with quote

Hello All,

Not a lot of response for the past couple of months, but many views, suggesting, perhaps, a latent interest.

I'm still up for it although time and work (and restoration) are against me at present.

Worth a discussion at the AGM ?

Cheers,

Howard
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello James,

I plan to attend but I am in the States in business around that time. Please remind me of the date !

Thanks,

Howard
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello James,

Thanks.

I fly out on the 10th so I'll miss the AGM - sorry !

However, if the subject is discussed and there is a will to do something, and support with info, then I am willing.

Cheers,

Howard
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard

PM'd you.
Alec Gatherer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy thread revival Batman!

Available on eBay, search "Olympic Running". A vade mecum for the Olympic restorer, edited from previously-published articles by Les Brown.
Highly recommended.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: