FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unregistered Rochdale Olympic /Will it ever hit the road.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Wood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Unregistered Rochdale Olympic /Will it ever hit the road. Reply with quote

PLEASE HELP

Organised a experience mechanic to work on the car to finish it off and get it to its MOT state but because it hasn't been registered its not got a Vin Number/Log book /Registration Plate

Hes told me to get it through the MOT it needs a Vin Number ?. Finishing the car off is not a problem but getting it registered might ?. Emailed Tony Stanton and i am sure he will get back to me but anybody out there got any ideas?.

He told me that it would not pass the keen test that a new kit car would go through
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOT, and the insurance, will be done on a chassis number, as it is not yet registered. Make up a chassis number and stamp it on a plate to affix to the body. I recall the Club spares selling such a plate, or make your own. When it is finally registered DVLA will overstamp the MOT with a registration number and you will inform your insurance company likewise. I would speak with the person who is going to MOT your car to give him time to get up to speed.

To register the car, in the first instance, phone DVLA, and ask advice. Ask them to send you the forms to fill in, probably a V55/5, and the guide to filling it in. There is also a V55/4, and guide, for new kitcars, cars etc. I found them very helpful, once they had put me through to the right person. You will need the help from the Club to verify the age of the vehicle, to give it an age-related registration, and not have to comply with SVA rules.

Go onto the DVLA website, where you will eventually find out how to register it. My knowledge is limited as my involvement is to register an, old, imported TR4 from USA, and to register a complete Ariel that I discovered, and a BSA bitza!

Hope that helps you to make a start,

Rod
Mike Wood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Unregistered Rochdale Olympic /Will it ever hit the road Reply with quote

Sounds like you may need to take the car through Single Vehicle Approval (or what it has changed to, see: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022105).

Are you sure you don't have any paperwork for the car which you could then re-register the car with the DVLA? A chassis number on a receipt from the factory perhaps?

Good luck!
Mike Wood

Steven Wood wrote:
PLEASE HELP

Organised a experience mechanic to work on the car to finish it off and get it to its MOT state but because it hasn't been registered its not got a Vin Number/Log book /Registration Plate

Hes told me to get it through the MOT it needs a Vin Number ?. Finishing the car off is not a problem but getting it registered might ?. Emailed Tony Stanton and i am sure he will get back to me but anybody out there got any ideas?.

He told me that it would not pass the keen test that a new kit car would go through
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: olympic mot Reply with quote

steven, where are you located, if you provide the info it may help you find someone.
Regards
Dave
Steven Wood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the car from Crossflatt Street in Beeston at Leeds . Its former keeper was Barrie Makin who had owned the car from at least 1976 .

The story goes that he bought the car off one of two brothers after one died suddenly in a car accident . The car is believed to be local to Leeds . Still no paper work has been located but i am making progress with getting it registered . I have posted some pictures of the car on the web site .

The car is presently located at the Transport Museum at Rotherham .

Steve
zefarelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe he bult his own car

nuff said!
leselliott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rochdaleproject wrote:
Hi Les

This a 50 year old car with 50 year old characteristics which many owners have enjoyed and modified succesfully, why sour the path of other owners who enjoy these cars? As a member of the Rochdale Owners Club I don't understand your reasons behind stating "the Rochdale is no better to drive than a plastic pig"! It would appear you've personally had problems and not been able to overcome them, how have you arrived at this unjustified criticism?

Regards

James
ROC Secretary

www.rochdaleproject.co.uk

Apologies, I incorrectly assumed that people here had some motor trade experience as that term is motor trade slang for fibreglass cars. Heres another "Dagenham Dustcart" or what about Fix Or Repair Daily!
Andrew Roan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: old sayings Reply with quote

I have a motor trade background . The plastic pig was the lotus elan on the track as when tuned handled like a pig . the dagenham dustbin was the zodiac .I would personaly recomend fitting a period engine of reasonal power and torque to make the car a pleasure to work on and drive. Having built ,rallied and raced fitting an engine of to high a power for the chassis causes problems like torque steer . My view on modifying is to improve the useability especially on a classic car
Dave-M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: hit the road Reply with quote

steven, how is your car progressing toward it's MOT? how have you gone with getting it registered?
Dave
Steven Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: It all up hill Reply with quote

Dave

Contacted the DVLA and they informed me to fill in a V55/5 form in to register the car . I also phoned Derek Bentley who has been very helpful .

Derek has written a letter of authenticity and filled in the more technical bits in on the form for me .

I phoned the DVLA today and they did not seem very positive because i cant submit any evidence on the actual date of the car they said it would probably after be registered on a Q plate unless i can supply more contrary evidence .If i register it on a Q plate i cant change it at a later date even if i find more evidence .That's not a option

I have a mechanic lined up who will finish the car and someone from the museum is going to make me a dash but i just need to get it registered .

I have tried everything to find out more history about the car , posts ,leaflets,paper article, Internet all with no really useful information .

The only thing i could find out that Barrie stopped working on the car because he could not work the wiring loom out .

The car is a late model because its not got any colour pigment in the car body but the club dont know when this stopped ?.

The search will go on through thick and thin?.

Steve
PaulL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven
My car (reg HLB21N) was supplied on 17 August 1972 from the factory, and the gel coat is coloured red. There are a lot of places where the layer of glass mat under it has air trapped, making the gel coat easy to damage. In places where this has happened the gel coat can be broken off, revealing a small cavity beneath it. I gather that the later shells did suffer from this, and perhaps that is why they stopped colouring the gel coat - not sure if it would make any difference though.

Paul
Dave-M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: olympic Reply with quote

It could be worth asking Derek Bentley if he could do a list of all Olympics that were supplied to the Leeds area and use that as a starting point for your investigations. I did a similar thing with my GT. and managed to find the specific car and obtain some of it's history and 2 of it's previous reg no's.
When the weather improves it would be good to meet up and have a look at your car, I am only a few miles from you.
Regards
Dave
Steven Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul
you have given me a good idea , if i can get the other members to check the date of their Olympic and if it is a coloured gel coated i might be able to narrow the date gap down on my Olympic .

Dave
you can pop down and have a look ,in regards to checking records of the Phase 2 Olympics ,the club have no records .

Thanks Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: