FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rochdale Olympic Mt Coot-tha hillclimb
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further thoughts from Neil.

"I do like Paul Gethins solution, but might consider a different solution to the sway bar - though it definately seems to work for him.
Some time ago I stiffened the original sway bar mounts by installing two 50mm x 40mm balsa spars/cores, running from the outer/bottom corner of the steel subframe to the sway bar mount and the laminating the whole thing in with 4 layers of CSM. The radiator ducting was then filled top and bottom with expanding foam (which also distorted the ducting a bit) to also try to stiffen the nose some more. All of this was in an effort to stiffen the nose to allow the sway bar to work properly. These modifications were not done without prior testing of the structure, as the front end was assembled and then the torsion bar disconnected and the suspension moved from (predicted) full droop to full bump. In doing so it was noticed that the sway bar mount appreciably moved as the suspension arm pulled on the sway bar mount...hence the efforts to stiffen it. I had thought of creating a virtual A arm, by placing a link working in the same plane as the lower arm...but how much time do you spend on such things? The additional arm will be of very modest diameter and mounted to the subframe, if it is required at all.
Current rear springs are 225lb/in, which works out to 160lb/in at the wheel, same as that man Paul Gethin again! I think I may go slightly stiffer, as I am no doubt heavier than Paul and I have far too much preload for the suspension to work properly. The accepted theory is that there should be no preload (more than 5lbs to keep it in place) on the spring at all at full droop. I'll see if that is possible. Traction out of corners is hurt by the lack of droop travel, as the AVO dampers are too short at the current ride height of 200mm unladen at the rear. You can hear the car overcome the traction in corners in the video. Of course damping of the rear suspension is somewhat complex in a pure view as there are really three springs in series: Suspension bushes, tyres and suspension springs and only the latter is damped. The tyres run at quite a modest pressure due to the light weight of the Olympic and thus have a considerable 'spring' contribution. I cannot tell what effect this will have on the handling as there are so many other handling issues at present! However a move in the future to a proper motorsport tyre may assist as they will have considerably stiffer sidewalls. The suspension bush compliance can be eliminated by the use of spherical bearings or deralin etc, but given the age of the cars structure I feel this would be an unwise move in anything other than a dedicated track car - so bush compliance stays. Getting the springs and dampers right will make a great difference and will instill a lot of confidence that is sorely missing.
It is also difficult to get a perspective on performance...it seemed MUCH faster in the car than in the video! However to help with the performance compare the Olympic with this Bugeye racecar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6kGksdVCT4&feature=related
Regards, Neil"
KN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Neil was competing against at Mt Cootha.
SPORTS CARS – Under 2.0 litre
138 Joe Wilson 1921 Amilcar 903 Blue/Silver
139 Andrew Wilson 1924 Alvis 12/50 Ducks Back 1700 Green
140 Ross Kelly 1935 MG NB/K3 1271 Green
141 Doug Rath / Rel. Chris Rath 1951 Jowett Jupiter 1500 White
142 Don Biggar 1958 Lotus Seven S1 1460 Silver
143 Les Whelan / Rel. John Townsend 1959 Fairthorpe Electron Minor 1300 Dark Green
144 Stuart Everett 1959 Karmann Ghia GT 1916 Green
145 John Barram 1962 Lotus Seven 1498 Green
146 Neil Roshier 1964 Rochdale Olympic 1995 Yellow
147 Ron Woodbridge 1966 Lotus 23 Replica 1500 White/Red
148 John Lungren 1967 Lotus Seven 1575 Red/Aluminum
149 Ray Chappelow / Rel. Ian Bone 1967 MGB 1800 Red
150 Shane Brown 1969 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 2000 White/Yellow
151 Greg Bray 1970 Lotus Europa 1650 Green
152 Michael Goodfellow 1972 Lotus Elan Plus 2 1558 White/Silver
153 Frank Liu 1999 Westfield Clubman 1587 Yellow/Black
154 Adam Krueger 2000 PRB Clubman 1600 Grey
155 Geoff Noble 2004 Lotus Elise 1998 Silver
156 Neil Roshier / Dvr. Bill Sherwood 1964 Rochdale Olympic 1995 Yellow

Regards Keith
Dave-M

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give us an idea how well it went, can you tell us which of the above were quicker than the Olympic?
Dave
TonyS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further thoughts for Neil.

Neil you may not have taken in to consideration that you have a Phase 2R Olympic, so a Phase 2 bodyshell with Phase 2 rear suspension and Phase 1 front suspension,
and Pauls car is a Phase 1. I think a well-set up Phase I rear suspension is better than a well set up Phase 2 and there may be differences in the strengths, stresses and weight
of the Phase 1, Phase 2R and the Phase 2 bodyshells? (and the build quality of any Rochdale bodyshell?)

Regards
Tony
KN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Neils' co-driver Bill had a run of approx 63.5sec which put him 4th in class overall. Therefore only 3 cars were faster than the unsorted Rochdale.
Which cars they were maybe Neil can tell us, but we could guess from some of the entries a few candidates which may have been quicker.
Regards Keith
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do like Paul Gethins solution, but might consider a different solution to the sway bar - though it definately seems to work for him.

Some time ago I stiffened the original sway bar mounts by installing two 50mm x 40mm balsa spars/cores, running from the outer/bottom corner of the steel subframe to the sway bar mount and the laminating the whole thing in with 4 layers of CSM. The radiator ducting was then filled top and bottom with expanding foam (which also distorted the ducting a bit) to also try to stiffen the nose some more. All of this was in an effort to stiffen the nose to allow the sway bar to work properly. These modifications were not done without prior testing of the structure, as the front end was assembled and then the torsion bar disconnected and the suspension moved from (predicted) full droop to full bump. In doing so it was noticed that the sway bar mount appreciably moved as the suspension arm pulled on the sway bar mount...hence the efforts to stiffen it.

Flexibility is a killer in trying to get a good handling car. I fabricated a light weight frame that went between the tops of the A/R bar mounts and was also bolted to the inner wings, in order to add stiffness and to stop that area flexing. I discarded it as the area was stiff enough.

Quote:
I had thought of creating a virtual A arm, by placing a link working in the same plane as the lower arm...but how much time do you spend on such things? The additional arm will be of very modest diameter and mounted to the subframe, if it is required at all.
Current rear springs are 225lb/in, which works out to 160lb/in at the wheel, same as that man Paul Gethin again! I think I may go slightly stiffer, as I am no doubt heavier than Paul and I have far too much preload for the suspension to work properly. The accepted theory is that there should be no preload (more than 5lbs to keep it in place) on the spring at all at full droop. I'll see if that is possible. Traction out of corners is hurt by the lack of droop travel, as the AVO dampers are too short at the current ride height of 200mm unladen at the rear. You can hear the car overcome the traction in corners in the video.

Do you mean that the car is rolling too much and picking up the inside rear wheel and spinning away all of that power? I now run a Salisbury LSD, fantastic improvement. Up until then I had worked hard at increasing the overall roll stiffness, to keep the car square on the track. I also junked the original rear suspension, designed and built a proper 5 link system with a much better anti squat angle which improved the car considerably. I also used 1" metallastic bushes at each end of the trailing arms and they take a 1/2 bolt. I did not want to use rose joints a) because I still wanted to use the car on the road and b) I did not fancy the instantaneous shock loads being transmitted into the fibreglass mounting area.

Quote:
Of course damping of the rear suspension is somewhat complex in a pure view as there are really three springs in series: Suspension bushes, tyres and suspension springs and only the latter is damped. The tyres run at quite a modest pressure due to the light weight of the Olympic and thus have a considerable 'spring' contribution. I cannot tell what effect this will have on the handling as there are so many other handling issues at present! However a move in the future to a proper motorsport tyre may assist as they will have considerably stiffer sidewalls.

The Boys in F1 have only recently got on top of "tyre spring". With a chassis that has a huge increase in tortional stiffness over our Rochdales, gas dampers, tyres filled with unknown gasses and many hours of rig tests they may find 2/10's over a 3 mile lap...for us I think that just running low profile tyres will give you more feedback through the steering and make the car feel sharper and therefore increase your confidence in the car and your ability to drive it hard. I run 185/55's.

Quote:
The suspension bush compliance can be eliminated by the use of spherical bearings or deralin etc, but given the age of the cars structure I feel this would be an unwise move in anything other than a dedicated track car - so bush compliance stays.

As above, I use small diameter metallistic bushes.

Quote:
Getting the springs and dampers right will make a great difference and will instill a lot of confidence that is sorely missing.

You need to control the body movement in pitch and roll to give your tyres half a chance of doing their job. Then you need to make sure that all of the linkages have as little flexx as possible in order for your suspension to do it's work.......and still be practical on the road. I have picture of my Rochdale head on at the apex of a corner and there is very little roll.

Quote:
It is also difficult to get a perspective on performance...it seemed MUCH faster in the car than in the video!

It sure is....many times I have watched others out on the track and thought.."That's quick!!!!!" Then going out myself, think my time is slow and then finding out I am up with the leaders......don't ya just love this sport? [/quote]

Not the photo I mentioned earlier.....But the old girl looking nicely balanced as the power is fed in. The rear is sitting down a little...and take a look at that inside front wheel, not a lot of contact there. With stiffer rear springs, too reduce the squat under acceleration and a tweak of the front roll bar it sat much better coming out of corners.

......honking up Shelsley Walsh...glued through the Crossing...travelling at around 80mph accelerating up to 92mph before chucking the anchors out.

KN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

results for the class Neils Rochdale competed in.
I must apologise to all as it seems Bill and I underestimated the competition! I can honestly say that we did not really pay the results much attention, as out game plan was just to complete as many runs as we started and to end with an undamaged car. When we left the final results were not up and we both slipped a bit from the lunch time results.
Sports Cars - Under 2.0 litre
1 155 Geoff Noble Geoff Noble 2004 Lotus Elise 1998 BB 3 3 0:51.5717*
2 153 Frank Lui Frank Lui 1999 Westfield Clubm 1587 BB 3 3 0:57.6164 0:06.0447
3 150 Shane Brown S.Brown/L.Brown 1969 Alfa Romeo GT J 2000 BB 3 3 1:00.1210 0:08.5493
4 145 John Barram John Barram 1962 Lotus Seven 1498 BB 3 3 1:01.3628 0:09.7911
5 151 Greg Bray Greg Bray 1970 Lotus Europa 1650 BB 3 1 1:01.8162 0:10.2445
6 147 Ron Woodbridge Ron Woodbridge 1966 Lotus 23 Replic 1500 BB 3 2 1:01.8353 0:10.2636
7 156 Neil Roshier Bill Sherwood 1964 Rochdale Olympi 1995 BB 3 2 1:02.4668 0:10.8951
8 154 Adam Krueger Adam Krueger 2000 PRB Clubman 1600 BB 3 3 1:03.3010 0:11.7293
9 144 Stuart Everett Stuart Everett 1959 Karmann Ghia GT 1916 BB 3 2 1:05.3356 0:13.7639
10 148 John Lungren John Lungren 1967 Lotus Seven 1575 BB 3 3 1:05.6632 0:14.0915
11 146 Neil Roshier Neil Roshier 1964 Rochdale Olympi 1995 BB 3 2 1:08.3021 0:16.7304
12 142 Don Biggar Don Biggar 1958 Lotus Seven S1 1460 BB 3 3 1:09.0326 0:17.4609
13 152 Michael GoodfelMichael Goodfellow1972 Lotus Elan Plus 1558 BB 3 2 1:11.0727 0:19.5010
14 149 Ray Chappelow R.Chappelow/I.Bone1967 MGB 1800 BB 3 1 1:14.1534 0:22.581
15 139 Andrew Wilson Andrew Wilson 1924 Alvis 12/50 Duc 1700 BB 3 2 1:15.1451 0:23.5734
16 143 Les Whelan Les Whelan 1959 Fairthorpe Elec 1300 BB 3 3 1:17.1387 0:25.5670
17 141 Doug Rath D.Rath/C.Rath 1951 Jowett Jupiter 1500 BB 2 2 1:19.0744 0:27.5027
18 140 Ross Kelly R.Kelly/J.Townsend1935 MG NB/K3 1271 BB 3 3 1:21.2551 0:29.6834
19 138 Joe Wilson Joe Wilson 1921 Amilcar 903 BB 3 3 1:52.2351 1:00.6634

Last edited by KN on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
KN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from Neil,
Bill is an experienced racer and felt that he would get down to a .59 with a sorted car, which is an ambitious goal for sure. FWIW the Elise is powered by a Honda K20A engine, a popular conversion in Australia...gives another 150bhp over std!
I've read some of the views on the website on the P2 rear in other threads. Not sure I agree with all of the issues raised as written and I am not much of a fan of 'anti's' in suspension. Kinematic binding in response to a particular force seems a strange thing to design in, but I would also add that I am not really very adept at such issues and defer to those with more experience. However I have had the dampers out of my car and have moved the rear axle to full range of movement in roll both sides and also full bump/droop. There is no binding that I have noticed, though given the vagaries of RMP constuction this may not be indicative of anything on anyone elses' cars. I am tempted to replace the axle end bushes with spherical bearings to reduce the torsional loads on the inner mounts/bushes. I have also invesigated replacing the inner mounts with a modern suspension bush that is much more compliant in roll and vertical mvt, but very stiff longitudinally. However I will not touch this for a long time, as it is just time to enjoy the car as the mid-engined project will take over the workshop.
The P1 rear suspension does seem better for a competition car, the panhard ron in particular is much better, whereas the P2 induces roll steer.
The rear roll hoop bolts tot he shell using the same bolts as the rear damper mounts. There are two rearward tubes running back down to either side of the spare wheel. THe floor here was stiffened with 4mm coremat and 3 layers of CSM. The forward legs of the 6pt cage run alongside the original roof bars and down beside the A pillar tubes to a L shaped floor mount tube. There is a side intrusion bar of limited worth, as it has to run down quite low to allow my big self into the car. Side intrusion is my biggest fear in the Olympic and hence my decision to replace the doors and create some box sections that will be filled with foam. Such things would make a mild/moderate bump a surviviable thing. I replaced the original door locks with MB ones from a 230S...and they are so much better that what was originally fitted. Curiously they are not bolted to the car, but glued with polyurethane. This one change, use of polyurethane, has made my car so much more enjoyable - things no longer rattle themselves to death or constantly fall off!
Paul, I have a Trans-X Salisbury 45/45 unit sitting in a box in the garage, so that is sorted. Due to the limited droop the car does pick up the inside rear. This results in a sharp rear slip, which is easily caught with some opposite lock. Tyres all round are 185/60/14 Pirelli P600's. More rear droop will be good and perhaps some more rear spring rate. Front spring rate will be upped a little with the internal pressure of the bilsteins. I will also be adopting some long progressive bumpstops on the dampers all around.

Regards, Neil
Via KN
calex_fr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but I haven't understand all.

It will be possible to have some pictures ?

from France
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some poor photo's of the modified rear suspension......

KN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neils engine bay
[img][/img]
KN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than load you up with a lot of images, I have simply added them to my folder on photobucket with some comments.
Perhaps you can just add the image links in a cut and paste way onto the ROC site?

Regards Neil
Via Kn
calex_fr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humumummmmmmmm !

impatient for front and rear axles pictures Wink

mine :

from France
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall chatting to Neil when he was over in the UK, about what colour he should paint his car. I suggested the dark green with a gold stripe ala early Australian Brabham F1 cars. I see he prefers primrose yellow Wink
TonyS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found 2 more photos

Regards
Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: