FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New cordless hammer drill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: New cordless hammer drill Reply with quote

My current cordless hammer drill is getting long in the tooth and I bought from Screwfix some years ago. The batteries finally expired but I bought a spare couple of secondhand ones from ebay which lasted a further year. What I particularly didn't like was the chuck as it only relied upon hand strength to tighten it up. Lots of times I'd leave a masonry drill bit stuck in a wall with the chuck spinning hopelessly around.

What I really wanted was one of those positive locking chuck which I think at made by Jacobs and used on Bosch drills, but I didn't want to pay the Bosch price for a new drill.

I spent four hours today visiting the usual supermarkets and ended up in Toolfix getting the staff to open up the packaging until I found a drill with the 'right' chuck. I've bought a Makita 8391DWPE3 18V Combi Drill (which seems to be the new name for a hammer drill) for £79.86 reduced from £179.99. It even comes with three batteries and a 'clever' battery charger so I can leave a battery in there permamently and it'll always be fully charged.
PaulL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem about a year ago drilling a hole in a concrete lintel at my daughter's flat. My old hammer drill made no impression, so I bought a Direct Power BS26S3 5kg SDS Plus Drill from Screwfix (No 58494). I think it was £29 then and is very well made, went through the lintel so easily. The only trouble is that my son has borrowed it!
The trouble I have found with cordless tools is that the battery is never fully charged when you need it, your intelligent charger and spare batteries should sort that out though.

Paul I will ring you next week, when I come and look at your garage I will sort out your scanner for you.

Paul
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promise? Next week?

Two problems I had with the old drill is that the chuck could only be tightened up using hand pressure and as it (and I) got older, the 'teeth' of the chuck no longer gripped the drill shank. This drill has a chuck which actually makes a 'cracking' sound when tightened and positively locks the drill shank.

Also the 18v batteries look beefier, and the make is a better one. Kyobi was recommended to me as being the best of the budget ones but Screwfix doesn't seem to do a Kyobi cordless hammer drill with a 1/2" chuck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: