FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering Wheel
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not; that's huge! Just imagine those spindly aluminium spikes piercing your chest in a collision Shocked .

No thanks. Smaller (13") and leather rim, still period. Smile
calex_fr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Narramore wrote:
No it's not; that's huge! Just imagine those spindly aluminium spikes piercing your chest in a collision Shocked .

yes, drive a Modus Wink

from France
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years and years ago I read an article in one of the car mags (C&CC perhaps?) where they tested after market steering wheels in a sort of simulated crash test. The large diameter, woodrimmed steering wheels came out really badly with the rims collapsing and the wood splintering. The leather rimmed steering wheels with holes in the spokes were not that much better either.

Still the man who brings us deliveries of logs for our wood burner had a look at my Olympic the other day and was pretty surprised that people actually risked their lives in cars such as ours. In other words the construction of the Olympic is light years away from the modern day car.
KN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primary safty in cars such as ours I admit is low compared to modern recyclo-mobiles. However on motorcycles and scooters it is nil. Secondary safety I.E avoiding getting hit in the first place is good in a car that has better than average braking, acceleration, handling and manouvarbilty, also like a motorbike. As a courier I drive as if I am still on a motorbike which I once used to ride. Sydney drivers are not motorbike friendly or the worlds best.
Drvers of classic cars tend to be more aware of their driving enviroment. Skills are generally better than the average motorist and we know how hard it would be to repair or replace parts damaged in an accident should we survive it. So you take your chances on the road, but like a motorcyclist, you do your best to reduce the odds. It comes down to choice, either a modern safe drive or an interesting car to drive.
Happy motoring.
Keith Nicholson Phase 1.5 ESU816, Sydney Australia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: