FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic Phase 2 - 900 HLR - Build Diary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary Tipping

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the rear axle is in, complete with brake pipes and transverse brake cables,
I can start giving some serious thought to a handbrake lever and cable. Still toying with mounting the lever to the right of the seat, but no decision as yet.

I've now bonded the new under tray in, and I can now position the new subframe, just waiting for some poly bushes to arrive from ROC to build up the suspension.

As both the under tray and the bulkhead had been cut out by the previous owner, I have no reference points. I'm planning to position the subframe by measurement from the back axle, pack it up to the correct angle, using the data in Olympic Running, and then tack in the bulkhead to suit. Then remove the subframe, bond in the bulkhead, and then bond the subframe in to its final position. Not much if you say it quick!

Gary Tipping

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

It's been a long time since my last post! I've not had much to report as other things have got in the way through the summer. I'm regional organiser for another car club, and loads of events were crammed in to the second half of the year.

I'm back on the Olympic now and have just about finished fitting the the new front bulkhead panel. The new panel didn't fit the existing body at all well. I had to cut it in 6 places to allow it to flex and then bond it into position.

Having carefully positioned the subframe to get a position for the bulkhead, I've now had to take it out to bond in the bulkhead. a bit of tidying up to do and the subframe can go in it's final position.

hope everyone's ok, more photos tomorrow.

Cheers

Gary
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: rochdale olympic Reply with quote

Your car is coming together very well, it doesn't surprise me that you had to 'cut and shut' the new parts. My experience has over the years has confirmed to me that most Olympics although out of the same mould do tend to physically move, and change shape over the years, even without having had most of the bulkheads etc removed, as your car had.

Keep up the good work.
Gary Tipping

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply. With the amount that had been cut away I'm not surprised things have moved a bit!

I'm looking forward to bonding the sub frame in, or should I say I'm looking forward to it being finally installed, rather than the process of doing it.

Any tips for getting a good bond between the subframe and the body?

Cheers

Gary
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: rochdale olympic Reply with quote

Gary,

To be honest there really isn't much that I can say apart from make sure that you have cleaned the area where the subframe is to be bonded and rough it up so that you get as good a key as possible, it is worth putting a strip of wetted chopped strand under the frame tubes as long as that doesn't interfere with the final positioning. The rest is just the normal 'messy' fiberglass.
Gary Tipping

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith.

Gary
Gary Tipping

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Subframe installation Reply with quote

Well, Keith was right, it was a messy job. Managed to end up wearing plenty of resin!

I did take the precaution of u bolting the subframe where I could before bonding it in.

Looking forward to building up the front end and getting it on it's wheels.

Must get the handbrake sorted so I can get it out on to my, sloping, drive.
I've tried an MX5 handbrake lever, on the passenger side of the tunnel, and to the right of the drivers seat, but neither seemed to work too well. Ive ordered an MGB lever from eBay which should work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: