FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phase 2 under bonnet temperatures.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary Tipping

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll take a cue from the race car, and duct some air from in front of the radiator, and leave the vent in front of the windscreen free to let some heat escape. At least it will be easier to do while I have good access.

My heater pipes are going to exit through the side of the passenger foot well, I'll have to route them as far from the exhaust as possible, and protect them from the heat. I might need to wrap the exhaust as well.

Gary
Alan Smith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more food for thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vslKLYVRw
I'm a big fan of Julian Edgar and I can highly recommend his book on aerodynamics, although it is quite expensive.
Having said that, all his videos are excellent Idiot's Guides, which is why I like them - in some cases they might be sufficient info in themselves Very Happy
Alan Smith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Tipping wrote:
I think I'll take a cue from the race car, and duct some air from in front of the radiator, and leave the vent in front of the windscreen free to let some heat escape. At least it will be easier to do while I have good access.

My heater pipes are going to exit through the side of the passenger foot well, I'll have to route them as far from the exhaust as possible, and protect them from the heat. I might need to wrap the exhaust as well.

Gary

Unfortunately the area in front of the windscreen will be a high pressure area, so not very suitable for exhaust Sad
Gary Tipping

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alan, good point.

Cheers

Gary
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Underbonnet temperatures Reply with quote

I realise I never followed this up from few years back. Apologies.

Just to update, I removed the heatshield from the manifold/carb flange as it caused air leaks.

So now I have:- summer thermostat, 'cooling' fan, ventilation through the plenum air duct, seals removed adjacent to the bonnet latch, bonnet with felt and reflective lining, fuel line routed away from heat, air intake underbonnet.

Touch wood, I've had no starting or driveability problems, but clearly all the fuel in the float chamber evaporates during a hot soak - the vapour is quite noticeable!

Howard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: