FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SUG 55 restoration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: SUG 55 restoration Reply with quote

So much for retiring!

A little while ago I was approached by a club member to restore his type 'C' which was at NEC last month, part of the conversation regarding this restoration was around what to do with the obviously poorly mounted body on the Ford chassis and the possibility of replacing it with a Buckler chassis. Thankfully I have managed to convince the owner that it should remain on its original chassis and that I can make it work.

Now to the interesting bit. During the last few months since the purchase of the type 'C' and following up on the Buckler track, the owner has now bought SUG 55 which is now also with me for restoration.

We have started to make some serious progress on the car taking over from what its previous owner did. To this end it has been blasted and is now having the finishing touches on the chassis to take it back to the form it was raced by Alan Staniforth who we have raced against in the past.

I am hopeful that we will have a rolling chassis by Christmas so that we can start the restoration of the body in earnest next year.
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Mk6 restoration Reply with quote

Progress on the Mk6 is moving on quite well.

We have had the chassis blasted to remove all the old paint, rust, etc. this has provided us with a really nice surface onto which to put the chassis finish. Unfortunately it has also thrown up a few small areas which will need addressing before we go any further. There is a small amount of corrosion on the back of the main chassis rails and a few small perforations in the chassis due to rust, apart from that the chassis is in really good condition, especially considering that it is some 68 years old.

The front suspension has been stripped and blasted in house and will be painted and rebuilt very soon. The rear suspension is next on the list and should be done early next week.

I will put some pictures up as soon as I get the chance.
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Mk6 restoration Reply with quote

Chassis repairs all done, final piece is being welded in place today. Hopefully the finished chassis will be in paint by Christmas, no rest for the wicked.

Just out of interest we are using some pictures supplied by one of our members/friends as reference, bet you can't guess who this is!

keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Mk6 restoration Reply with quote

After some concentrated effort we have now got the Mk6 chassis up to the rolling chassis state, we will be working on the engine/gearbox fitting next using a spare engine while its proper engine is away with the engine builder Don Rawson.

Once the cooking engine is in place we can start work on the inner panels, bulkheads and floor.

keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: SUG 55 Reply with quote

We have been beavering away on the Mk6 and have now finished off the floor, seat bases, and rear bulkhead. The rear body section has been test fitted and we can now move on to fitting the sill panels, door shuts and door hinge frames.

keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Mk6 restoration Reply with quote

First test fit of the front for the Mk6.

Mk6 in good company, along side the Buckler chassis for the type 'F' and a type 'C' under restoration.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Mk VI All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: