FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mazda gearbox

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Mazda gearbox Reply with quote

Does anyone know if a Mazda MX5 gearbox will fit into a Phase 2 tunnel without too much alteration.
Now I can see my way to having a rolling chassis how I want it to be my thoughts are turning to the installation of the Engine and Gearbox, and the installation of the electrical system / wiring harness.
All help will be really appreciated.
Regards, Dave
Dave Mayers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, I've fitted a Mx5 1.8 engine and box into my phase 1, had to slice the torque beam location mounts off and then used the exhaust mount ( 2 x 10 mm bolts) on the underside to hold the gearbox down.
Dave-M

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Mazda Reply with quote

Hello Dave, Thank you for taking the time to reply.
My car is a Phase 2, with ford engine and box, and I am not that knowledgeable about the Phase 1 as you will see by the following questions I would like to ask you or anyone else reading this.

Is the tunnel section the same shape on both Phases?

Did you manage to keep the engine/gearbox mating face in the same place (fore & aft)?

Did the clutch slave cylinder get in the way?

I don't know what you mean by Torque location mounts.

What engine did your car have before the Mazda and was the conversion worthwhile? Particularly with reference to the 5 speed box

thanks again, Dave

P.S. Is your car the Red one with Sunroof and Wire wheels?
Dave Mayers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly the pre 2006 mx5 gearbox will not fit a ford, a mk3 will. I was in the position of replacing a worn out 1500 cc engine and early ford box, the low mileage mx5 car was cheaper than a mk9 gearbox. The engine has twin Delorto carbs and fired by a ford Edis unit, should of called it a day but the LSD and hubs also used. It's a lot of work ! Hope this may help.
John Plant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

I would think the tunnels are pretty much the same, Have a word with Keith he would know he has just put a picture on Facebook with the bottom half of a shell of a ph2
John
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Mazda gearbox Reply with quote

John & Dave, Thanks for your replies.

John, thanks for the Facebook tip off, Keith looks to be a very busy man so instead of being lazy I decided to measure the tunnel on my car. Unfortunately my shell is on a trolley which prevents access to the underside so I had to measure from the inside and make an allowance for the thickness of the fibreglass.

Dave, I understand that the later Duratec version of the gearbox will match the Ford gearbox but the earlier gearboxes are commonly fitted to Ford engines by using an adaptor plate. I have access to as many early gearboxes as I want so guess which way I am going.

From the measurements I made I am reasonably confident that the gearbox will fit without too many alterations.
The main areas of concern are:-
1) the exhaust and clutch operating arm & slave cylinder need to be in the same place so a concentric slave cylinder modification to the gearbox may be required.

2) It will be close in terms of bell housing / body clearance so it may be necessary to move the engine and gearbox forward by an inch or so.

I am to pick up a gearbox in the next few days so more to follow.

Regards, Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: