FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic P2 cooling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave-M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Olympic P2 cooling Reply with quote

Is the Cooling system fitted to a Phase 2 good enough for a modified
Ford 1500 pre crossflow?
When I last drove my car it had around 50% less power and I don't recall any problems but I only used it for fun and didn't spend time in town traffic or bumper to bumper traffic.
I no longer have the original radiator or an electric fan and I have no memory of what they looked like, (must be an age thing), so I have some decisions to make now regarding what to use.
I could do with a little help from anyone who has a road going Phase 2 to give me a clue where I need to be.
How you would describe the cooling on your car.
ie. Excellent, Adequate or Marginal.
Come on guys, use the Forum, give me a hand.

Regards, Dave
Barrie Jones

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Rochdale cooling Reply with quote

Can only comment from my own experience but my own Phase II came originally with a 997cc 3 bearing crank Ford engine, which worked well enough, was very economical but tiring to drive.
So the opportunity came for a change of engine and to cut a long and somewhat convoluted story short I ended up with a 1600cc Crossflow lump to Mexico spec.
Never had any cooling/overheating problems over 30,000 plus miles commuting 54 miles a day using the original radiator.
Due to various reasons the car has been off the road for many years now and I'd be undecided whether to recore the original rad or swop it for something more modern like a Mk2 Golf.
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Cooling Reply with quote

The key to cooling any Olympic (dare I say any Rochdale) is to make sure that all the air flowing though the inlet goes though the radiator, i.e. ducting. The addition of a thermostatically controlled modern electric fan is also a good idea for that odd time you find yourself in traffic.

From our experience with race cars I would also say that a good quality modern ally cored radiator is invaluable though not essential.

I will take a couple of pictures of a phase 2 we have under restoration which has a simple closure panel onto which the radiator is mounted, this method has worked very well for us in the past. My own car (although a phase 1) has a similar set up and is a daily driver.
Dave-M

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: cooling Reply with quote

Barrie & Keith, thanks for the replies.
I thought all would be OK if done as you suggest Keith.
I have already acquired a modern Ali crossflow rad with the outlet / inlet in the right position.
There are a couple of 9" electric fans due in the next few days as well.
The plan is to make fresh side panels and a housing for the 2 fans form GRP and fit the rad a little more forward than the original to ease the fitting of whatever subframe I end up using.
When the fans turn up I will put a couple of pictures up for your opinions.

Looking forward to see your pictures Keith, I can always do with a bit of inspiration from someone else.

Regards, Dave
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: cooling Reply with quote

Admittedly not a very inspirational picture however it does show the aluminium closing panels which also act as mountings for the radiator, and the electric fan.

The plumbing is yet to be finished, but this method has worked for us on other restorations.
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: cooling Reply with quote

Keith, Thanks for the picture, it's food for thought.

Regards, Dave
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: cooling Reply with quote

I now have the radiator and fans and here are the pictures I promised.

The above shows 2 9 inch fans laid in place and the 4 mounting pins that will be used for the Rad.

This shows the side profile of the fan, it's quite slim so should fit fine.

Now it's on to making the plug to produce the shroud to mount the fans and direct the air away from the rad.
The fans will be pulling the air through the radiator from the front of the car as I am led to believe that it is more efficient this way.
You will notice that the fans have curved blades, apparently they are a little quieter than the straight blades, but are a little less efficient. We will have to see on that one.
More to follow when I have made the fan housing and the ducting.

Regards, Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: