FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sewing machine anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Parts For Sale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alec Gatherer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Sewing machine anyone? Reply with quote

I have an ancient but beefy Singer 96K up for grabs. Industrial clutch motor 240v, range of accessories incl. piping feet, surplus as I have a walking foot Pfaff 145 that I recently restored to usable condition.
It lives in a cabinet which unfolds to make a workstation. Pics available if you provide an email address.
f.o.c. collected from Manchester, or I can transport but I would seek assistance with carrying it downstairs. I carried it upstairs but I was younger then.
Must go to good home as it s/was a family heirloom.
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: sewing m/c Reply with quote

Have you used it for you car upholstery? I am looking for a Walking Foot machine to do bits of leather.
How about doing a post on any upholstery work you have done.

Regards, Dave
Alec Gatherer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an upholstery course at Manchester College of Technology a good few years ago.
I have repaired a few Riley seats but other than that no recent practice.
I was given a Pfaff 145 machine that I have just got up & running again. The walking foot is the way to go for leatherwork, but I know many who have successfully used a 96K for upholstery work.
No Rochdale experience - yet!

Incidentally, I also did a sheet metal fabrication course where one of the tutors was one Wilbur KcKee.
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: sewing m/c Reply with quote

Sorry Alec, I don't know who Wilbur McKee is (peasant northerner), please enlighten me.
Regards, Dave
Alec Gatherer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In brief - Wilbert McKee was a diminutive, self-effacing engineer hailing from Northern Ireland who had been there and done it. I mention him as until his death last year he owned a Ford engined Ph II Olympic that I believe Les Brown now has. This is appropriate as I also believe that it is more than likely that Les will publish a book about Wilbert. When I say been there and done it, this is a short list of just some of Wilbur's engineering involvements:
Norton featherbed frames; Marauder bodies (with Rex Meade?); Meade coachcraft; Connaught race cars; Lotus; Ferrari; Buckler; Aston Martin.
In fact any notable feat of car or motorcycle engineering development that you mentioned to Wilbert turned out to have been one of his projects. You had to broach the subject; Wilbert was not given to boasting. Probably the most impressive engineer in both mechanics and metal shaping that I have ever met.
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: sewing m/c Reply with quote

Mr Mckee sounds a very interesting man to have known.
Sorry for interrupting the disposal of your Sewing M/c, I hope it moves on to help the future restoration of another Rochdale.

Regards, Dave
Alec Gatherer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sewing machine now claimed by ROC member.
John Curvis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[
quote="Alec Gatherer"]Sewing machine now claimed by ROC member.[/quote]
Alec was your course at Mancat college i did a course there doing upholstery and body work some 15 years ago
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Parts For Sale All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: