FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The ROC Media methods.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: The ROC Media methods. Reply with quote

Media

Media methods that allow communication and information to be sent to and recived from ROC members and a larger worldwide audience.

Magazine

The current magazine is excellent. Properly one of the best car club magazines, especially for a small club like ours. The magazine is for paidup members only.
The magazines main problems are :-
a) The costs to produce and distribute it.
b) Out of approximately 120 members there are less than 10 actively contributing to it.
c) Not easy to find and look up past articles.
d) Takes 3 months to receive an answer to a question
The magazine could go to a digital format this would reduce cost, would make searching for past articles easier. But would have the same problem with the number of members contributing to it and some members may have a problem receiving the magazine electronically.
I am a bit oldschool here; I like the magazine in hardcopy and filing it in a binder for the bookcase.

Website

Keith Hamer has done a fantastic job of rescuing the ROC website that we all feared was lost. He has brought it up to date, keeps it up to date and has filled it with useful information. This is how a website should be, keeping the ROC members up to date and informing the worldwide audience about the ROC. Well-done Keith.
The only downside to the website is that members cannot be interactive with it, but that is why we have a Forum site running alongside the website.

Forum v Facebook

An Internet forum is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. They differ from social media sites in that messages are often longer than one or two lines of text, and the messages are archived/indexed.
The forum now has 2 moderators, Howard Evans and myself. We are here to help, please ask.
The forum has been running for 10 years now, it has 350 topics, 2260 posts, is visited by lots of guests from around the world every day, But not by ROC Members, WHY?
I see members asking questions about their Rochdale on Facebook when the answer is already archived/indexed in the forum, so why not look in the forum first? If the answer is there problem solved, if not ask the topic (or start a new one) your question, this will highlight it and bring it to the top where other members can see it and can reply. It is then archived/indexed for members use anytime in the future.
When you post a question on facebook and have recived the answers there comes a time when the post is inactive and moves down the page and with no archive/index it disappears in to a blackhole and has no future use. The facebook site set up and run so well by John Jarrett in the clubs hour of need, served use well when we had no website or forum, but should we now consider closing it down?

In conclusion

We can look into past history for thousands of years because people wrote it down on paper, parchment, stone/wood tablets and walls. We have Rochdale history because it is written down for now and the future in the magazine and in Les Brown’s book. Derek and I have lots of Rochdale car history because it was written down in the late 1950,s - early 1960,s factory ledger and hundreds of Rochdale’s for sale written down in MotorSport,
Auto Sport and other early magazines. But there is little recorded in this electronic age. If you sell a car on e-bay or a car sales website, when the car is sold the advert disappears and the record has gone. If we lost the website/forum for some reason (which we nearly did) all that information would be lost. Facebook is a fad, in a few years time someone will bring out some think new and say it is better, Facebook will close down and all that information you have placed on there will be lost.
The other problem with the Internet is there is so much information that is incorrect and as people relay it from Website to Website it soon becomes fact.
A good thing about the Internet over the written word is that it is easy to go back a few years and correct/update an article which you wrote at that time, if you now know it to be incorrect. Here I hold my hand up and plead guilty to needing to correct some of my own older articles.
The Rochdale Owners Club was founded with the aim of furthering the interest in Rochdale Motor Panels, as well as providing members who have cars with information and support. This history and information needs to be recorded for use now and in the future, this the club does with the magazine, the website, the forum and facebook if the members look at them and actively contribute to them.
Members please use the AGM, the forum, the magazine or facebook to give the club your opinions on this subject.

Last edited by TonyS on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
TonyS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: The ROC Media methods. Reply with quote

I will start the Media discussions, with an apology to John Jarrett who set up and moderates the ROC facebook site. In my magazine article I make it appear that I am asking to close the facebook page, this is not correct the “closing” should have been part of a question in the Forum v Facebook section. I have rewritten the last 2 sections in the article above.
Please will the ROC members tell the club what they think about the ROC media methods?
What are the good points and why,
what are the bad points and why.
Do you have any ideas for improvements?
John Plant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony I agree with all that you say, the magazine is very good and Alan has done a brilliant job, lets hope it keeps going as it is. The good thing about today is that all information should be able to be transferred as written straight to disk or usb.
I must admit I am not a fan of Facebook but John Jarrett has done a good job with it,and it has brought Rochdales up front, but it would be nice to see the forum used more now Keith has sorted it out.

If it is not broke why mend it.

John
John Jarrett

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Media Web v Facebook Reply with quote

Tony, John P and all,

Facebook for ROC was created to see if any interest was out there on the net.
At this moment there are 74ish members and the only way it could end is when all members resign. I don't think this will happen so the Facebook ROC will live. there are many more facilities on face book such as instant messaging chat facilities group or just between friends, instant photo uploads and facebook on your mobile is very easy. Also interested parties can request to join and if it is not there cup of tea simply resign, there have been some Rochdale people who are looking for connections to Rochdale but are not into cars etc so they just opt out. I will action any comments and improvements as requests are forthcoming, now can I drag and drop a picture- well no I will have to find out?!!!!
note English language gurus now have banned the !! unless what and how precede it

John J
TonyS

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Media Web v Facebook Reply with quote

This makes interesting reading and gives some answers to my article above.
Thanks to James Farrington for the link.

http://wwwebbers.co.uk/facebook-killing-club-forum/

Regards, Tony.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: