FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering rack phase 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Reid

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Steering rack phase 1 Reply with quote

Hi I am having problems steering on my phase1 I had taken it off during the
Restoration when I refitted the rack i loss end off the rubber boots
To centre the rack an easy fix then fitted the ball joints the n/s was ok but the o/s was pointing in at the front of the wheel no bother just adjust
( aye right) I don't have enough tread on the rack or ball joint
Anybody help
Regards jim
Phase1
OAS 939
John Plant

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

I had the same problem with mine I fitted new ball joints, in the end I had to shorten the thread on the ball joints but make sure you have enough thread left to thread in so it is safe

regards

John
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Steering Rack Phase 2 Reply with quote

Interesting! I had the same problem when I fitted new joints to my phase 2 (Triumph) rack. Winding them fully in only enabled me to achieve parallel tracking rather than the toe-in I was aiming to set. Doesn't seem any the worse for it!

Suspect the manufacturer has removed material at the ball end and then had to reduce the length of the bore to maintain strength.
Jim Reid

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Plant wrote:
Jim

I had the same problem with mine I fitted new ball joints, in the end I had to shorten the thread on the ball joints but make sure you have enough thread left to thread in so it is safe

regards

John
hi thanks for your reply after many hours looking at it trying this and that I discovered that one of the locknuts was wider than the other
So I managed to get a nut the same width it has made a differance
Regards jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: