FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GTF 452B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon Hamer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: GTF 452B Reply with quote

Well i've finally got round to starting a thread about my rochdale build.

I have been around rochdale olympics all my life as my dad has one or two dotted around the place. When the chance presented itself to own an olympic i couldn't resist and finally bought one.

The plans for my olympic are quite different to the normal. I love the original look of the olympic so i will be going with original rear arches, standard rochdale instrument dash and interior; from the outside i want my rochdale to look as original as the day it was built.

On the inside it will be a bit different. I am planning on horse power in the region of 300-400hp. The power plant i will be using is the VAG 1.8t 20v motor found in Audi's, VW's etc. Modern engine with full engine management courtesy of a megasquirt ECU.

The gearbox i will be using is also of Audi origin; i will use the transaxle as found in the Audi 100's and A4's. Obiviously using this box i will have to mount the box in the back of the car hopefully giving a good weight distribution. The rear suspension will be lotus eclat hubs and drive shafts with custom wishbones to keep it all together. I will be fabricating my own front uprights and hubs but they will still be fastened to original ph1 bottom wishbones and torsion bars.

I will get some photo's posted of progress so far which includes repairs to the floor cutting out of the old(rotten) ph1 subframe!
Paul Boorne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty ambitious plans Very Happy I like the original shape and curves also but certainly more modern mechanicals and reliability would be great. How are you intending on getting traction from 300hp in a car that is so light Wink
Simon Hamer

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Hopefully I'll get the traction with full traction control courtesy of the engine management system I'll be using; it also depends how heavy my right foot is Very Happy .

I'm planning on using a Megasquirt 3 ECU as it has capability of traction control amongst lots of other nice to have add-ons. Also with the gearbox being in the back of the car and 7-8" rims on the rear I should have enough rubber in contact with the floor.

Simon
Simon Hamer

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse the fuzzy photos but here is my Olympic having had the floor repaired and painted along with the gearbox and a view of it the right way up.

Since these photos were taken I've stripped the drive shafts and zinc plated them. I have also stripped and plated the original door locks mechanisms and window winder mechanisms (these were tough to get back together!).
Paul Boorne

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Modified Rochdale Reply with quote

Looking good, although your build (& mine) might be scorned by the purists. How are you planning to deal with wider track and 8" tyres?
There won't be anything that comes close to you with that sort of power to weight ratio, be in the super bike teritory Twisted Evil
Best of luck if you want a look mine is here http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=149401&page1

Keep the pictures coming Razz
Simon Hamer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a purists point of view hopefully it will be appreciated as I'm trying to use modern (ish) running gear while keeping a standard shell (no arch mods) with a period look. I'm even thinking of using black silicone hoses for the turbo charger pipes and water hoses.

I've done some quick measurements and with the audi box and lotus eclat drive shafts and hubs and rover 200 steel wheels (no alloys for me) the track is well within the standard rear arches which I want to keep without any modifications. The plan is to keep the shell as standard as possible and fit the new running gear around the car.

Also the standard shell means when my Dad has finished working on customer cars and not working on his own he can do some work on mine and not have to worry about what wacky idea I had for this part of the car Very Happy

I've had a look at your thread Paul; nice fabrication work! I can see why you think the purists might scorn.

I'll get some more photos up hopefully over the weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: