FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member with a GT, Reg No: 2232MK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: New member with a GT, Reg No: 2232MK Reply with quote

HI,
this is obviously my first post on the site. I will over the next few days take some photos and put them in the 'Owners Cars' section.
I have just bought a 1960 GT on Ford E93A chassis with Ford 10hp engine as original and built in 1958/9 (First Rehisterd in 1960).
The car seems to have a good rolling chassis which includes 15" Ballamy wheels and LMB Indepndent Front Suspension etc.
The body is a bare shell and is just resting on the chassis, with no obvioussigns of how ot should be fixed. The engine and gear box are off the car. But according to the original build receipts it has close ratio gears.
The engine comes with aquaplane head, timing cover with rev drive, inlet and exhaust mainfolds, twin SU's.
It also has export water pump, oil filter and oil cooler as well as the original Rochdale header tank.

I guess the first job is to lift off the body, rebuild the rolling chassis and refit the body to start the body repairs. There does not seem to be any accident damage, but most of the shell looks like it needs work. I have never done any fibteglass repairs before, so fingers crossed.

I live in Suffolk and would be keen to get in touch with anyone who has a ford based GT.

Bob Taylor
John Plant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob

First of all welcome to the club, I am the spares man for the club. Saying that I do not carrry many spares for the GT barring front and rear screens, but they are available from many Ford Pop sources.

I have an unmodified GT in pieces at the moment, I am just finishing off my Ph1 Olympic and then will start on the GT. The chassis has been sandblasted and painted and the engine has been rebuilt ready for the head to go back on, a standard engine no mods.

I do have some photos on photobucket I will paste the link on here, if you work your way around my section there are three sections of photos and one is of the GT as I was taking it to pieces. Regarding fitting the shell back, on my chassis it has hardwood runners bolted on the side of the chassis and parts of the shell fix to the runners. The wheel arches are bolted straight through the chassis, it is fixed wherever it could be fixed.

The link to photobucket is http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa15/jhpm3/rochdale%20PH1/ this link does not seem to work, there is alink on the olympic section under 81XPH once in click on the left hand side 'stories and albums' and you will see my gt photos, it needs updating though.

Hope to see you at the AGM

regards

John
Robert Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
I am still getting used to the website.
Can you confirm if it should be possible to lift the body off then refit engine gearbox, radiator etc and then drop the body back on?
My car still has the four posts, one in each wheel arch to keep the car body off the ground. I am not sure if they have always been on, or if they were put back to ease restoration.
Also, where do all the window rubbers come from for front, back and rear side windows?

By the way the photos of your car are great, look forward to seeing where you are now.
Cheers
Bob
John Plant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob

The body will come off the complete chassis with engine +gearbox etc, the ony thing that I will leave off on the rebuild will be the steering column. It was in the way when removing my body as some of the old ford floor panels would not come apart, and also you have to slide the body rearwards as you lift it to get it over the fuel tank.

I used my posts to get my body off but I do have a car hoist which makes life a little easier.

I keep window rubbers to fit the screens in stock.

If you want tp PM me your phone number I can give you a ring one night.

Regards

John
Robert Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,
does anyone know where I can get the correct window mechanisms for the GT. I understand that they are A30/A35, but can't find any at the moment. Or is there is similar alternative?
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> GT All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: