FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phase 1 subframes- A Series engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Palgrave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Phase 1 subframes- A Series engine Reply with quote

My Phase 1 Olympic was one of the few fitted with the Ford Consul Classic 1300cc engine. When I got the car it was just a rolling shell and I am in the process of re-engieering it to accept BMC A Series engine and gearbox. Also converting to Morris Minor steering rack and kingpins. I am building a jig to manufacture a replica subframe [ existing is in poor condition].It would help me a great deal if a few members with similar engine and steering configurations give me;
Distance [gap] from back of subframe to;
[1]the crankshaft pulley face
[2]the front of the steering rack cross tube
This data will help me complete the jig and also pre-engineer the new engine mounts

Ron Palgrave
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Phase one subframes Reply with quote

From experience the phase one subframes are just about all the same whether they use a 'B' series engine or an 'A' series, we have fitted both to cars we have restored over 40 odd years playing with Olympics. I currently have a phase one frame out of a car which we are restoring, if it is of any use to you I can take some measurements from it which may help you make up engine mounts etc.
Ron Palgrave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES , YES ! This would be most helpful !

From your recollection, are the mounts identical from A to B engines , with the A needing big spacer blocks to bring the centre-line height back? [I have seen some pictures showing these- on Richard Disbrow car]
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: a series Reply with quote

The engine mountings on the 'A' series are different to the Riley / Wolseley ones, as you rightly say they are thinner, and the mounting bolts are also spaced differently.

We currently have two 'A' series cars in the workshop and one running an MGA engine ('B' series) and my own car is running a Riley 1.5 when I get a spare minute I will take some pictures to try and show the difference.
Ron Palgrave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith that would be really appreciated. I am a bit stuck right now, and no-one else has replied to my plea for help. Again thanks in advance for your help.

Ron Palgrave
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Ph1 subframe Reply with quote

I have looked at both sets of cars, and taken a few pictures which actualy aren't very clear so here are a few dimensions which should clear up the situation.

1 From the rear face of the subframe to the centre of the steering rack is
57mm
2 From the floor to the centre of the steering rack is
280mm
3 From the rear face of the subframe to the centre of the engine mounting plate is
209mm
4 From the floor to the centre of the engine mounting plate is
187mm

The engine mounting plate is canted slightly so that the mounting hole at the rear is 184mm off the floor and the front mounting hole is 190mm off the floor, the plate itself is 102mm long and aproximately 68mm deep.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any other dimensions.
Ron Palgrave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ! If /when we ever meet, I owe you a beer.
RonP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: