FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prop Shaft Olympic Ph II

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Prop Shaft Olympic Ph II Reply with quote

I decided to replace the UJs as part of the ongoing refurbishment (sealed rather than grease nipples) and found that the front yoke had no blanking plug at the rear. Remarkably there is very little evidence of significant oil loss but I want to fix it. Measuring up shows that the shaft is too long for the car and the gearbox output shaft protrudes through the yoke, very close to the front spider.

As the options seem to be: relocate the powertrain or rear axle, or shorten the shaft by approximately 1.5 inches it seems to be a 'no brainer' !

Has anyone else encountered simlar ?

Cheers,

Howard
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Propshaft Reply with quote

We have worked on numerous Olympics over the years but have never come across this issue before, there may have been a gearbox change sometime in the past.

The plan of shortening the propshaft is definately the way to go, it is a relatively easy job particularly if you have access to a lathe. It is a simple case of turning off the propshaft weld and remaking the shoulder on the piece that fits into the prop tube. Once the tube is cut to the correct length simply re-fit and TIG, MIG or arc the bits back together. Don't forget to line the uj's up.

Sorry if I am teaching granny to suck eggs.
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Olympic Propshaft Reply with quote

Hello Keith,

Thanks for the advice. I'll take it !

Howard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: