FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coventry Climax Option for Olympic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Michelmore

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Coventry Climax Option for Olympic Reply with quote

Hi,
Just been looking at Malcolm McKay's 'Olympic Games' article from Classic & Sportscar May '87 and he mentions the Olympic was offered with 'Coventry-Climax or other engines to special quotation'. Does anyone know where he got this information from? Is it written in print anywhere?
He also mentions an attempt at homologation. Again, has anyone seen paperwork for this?
Cheers
Paul
TonyS

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

A bodyshell was made by the factory in January 1961 for Union St Garage, ANDWICK, Manchester. The body was modified to fit a Coventry Climax engine. I believe the car was sprinted and hillclimbed by a
Mr ARNOLD and the reg No 9735 NC and that is all I know, Paul if you find anymore details on this car please let me know for the Olympic database.

Kind regards
Tony
TonyS

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Paul,

It is Union St Garage, ARDWICK, Manchester.

Tony
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Climax Reply with quote

Amongst all the other jobs in the workshop currently I am working on a 1958 Lotus 7 series one, I am fitting a Coventry Climax FWA (1100cc) engine in the chassis which we have just finished restoring.

The engine has been mated to a BMC 'A' series gearbox, this involves making up an adapter plate of around 6mm thick to mate the ex firepump Climax block to the gearbox bell housing. The engine mounting too is quite interesting as it uses 4 bolts at the bottom front of the block and in this instalation uses Jag engine mounts.

The total hight of the Climax is easily as much as a 'B' series engine, and in the Lotus instalation the rocker cover oil filler is removed and an adapter is fitted to the oil breather lower down on the block.

I have to admit I too have been looking at this conversion as a nice period one for an Olympic. And since we now have paterns for all the machined parts and the facility to manufacture it may be a possibility.

The FWB was (I believe) 1400ish cc and the FWE (as fitted to the Elite) was a combination of the smaller stroke from the FWA and the bigger bore from the FWB giving 1200ish cc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: