FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lightweight olympic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Historical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave-M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: lightweight olympic Reply with quote

One of the few lightweight Olympics that were produced by the factory was supplied to a Neville Hodkin from Doncaster, this is also my home town and it has aroused my curiosity because nothing is really known of the car other than it's registration number 8500 DT and that it did a few events during the early 60's.
I felt a bit of detective work was called for to try and establish what happend to 8500 DT.
The first step was to contact Derek Bentley, theOlympic registrar, he gave me the address on the factory order form for Mr Hodkin.
It was then a matter of tracing where he had moved to in the following 45 years.
After much knocking on doors and many phone calls I eventually found Mr Hodkin.
He told me about the car when he owned it and of some of the events he did, I intend to talk with him again and gather more information.
He told me where the car went when he sold it and I am in the process of following this up.
I will put the info on here as I find the answers.
The car was a Phase 1 factory lightweight fitted with "A" series engine and running gear, he said it only weighed 5cwt (560 lb)??? and that it was a more than match for Lotus 7's on the straights but not on the bends. He also mentioned that the back end used to lift at high speed.
I wonder if the poor cornering might have been due to the shell flexing as an all up weight that low could have only been achieved by the GRP in the shell being paper thin.
More to follow....
Regards
Dave

Last edited by Dave-M on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
TonyS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
It's nice to see a Rochdale owner following up past history of Olympic's in his area before its to late and the original owner's have past away and the details lost. Derek and I cannot do it all we need members help.

Now Dave about your own Olympic the database shows you bought the car in 1987, but who from? it was registered May 1971 in Sheffield C.B.C.
How many owners from 1971 to 1987 and who were they?
Do you have any photos of the car on 4 wheels between 1971 and 2008?
A scan of any photos or documents will help the database, if you do not wish to put it all on the forum send it to me on
rochdale-olympic@fsmail.net (please put ROCHDALE in subject line)
and this applies to all owners reading this send in the past details of your car PLEASE.

Kind regards
Tony

Last edited by TonyS on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave-M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I aquired my Olympic from a young lad who had bought it from the original owner/builder a Mr. A slater.
The car had 7k miles on the clock and it had been very well built, unfortunately the young lad had decided to change the colour from red to black and had walked round the car with an aerosol can. It looked a mess.
I cleaned the black off and used the car on a daily basis for the next 8k miles.
I enjoyed the car but found it had a few shortcomings in he handling/roadholding department.
It was powered with a 1200cc 105e engine fitted with a modified head and twin 1 1/4" su carbs. The performance was equivalent to an Alfa-sud if anyone remembers them.
The car was fitted with 5 1/2" lotus rims and pirelli cinturato tyres 165 x 13
I later sold the rims for more than I paid for the car.
The car was used on and off until 95/6 at which point I decided to hillclimb it after suitable mods. The organisers of the main local events agreed that it would be ok to run in the road modified class and preparation began only to find out a few months later that I would have to run in the kit car class alongside Caterhams and other seven replicas. I decided it was not for me and decided to restore the car to better than new.
The car is now a kit of restored and new parts ready to be assembled although after Paul Gething's post on here I am already modifying the suspension with a view to doing a few hillclimb, sprint and trackdays.
I have a good few photographs of the car in it's original state but they are on a hard drive that failed and need to be recovered. When I do this I will post them up.
If you need any more info just ask
Regards
dave
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-M wrote:
The organisers of the main local events agreed that it would be ok to run in the road modified class and preparation began only to find out a few months later that I would have to run in the kit car class alongside Caterhams and other seven replicas. I decided it was not for me and decided to restore the car to better than new.

Dave, I have a copy of the RACMSA Competitors Times in front of me........dated 1986, where it states that the Rochdale Olympic is added to the cars allowed to compete in 'modified Sports Cars'.

I will get it scanned and put it up on here.............It is always good to wave it in front of the scrutineer or 'Entry Secretary'.........Jobsworths!!!!!

Bloody Locaterfields........... Twisted Evil
Dave-M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, that would be great, thank you.
Regards
Dave
TonyS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Past History Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
Now about your own Olympic GUY 541C, the database shows you bought the car in 1979, but who from? it was registered 1965 by Worcestershire C.C.
How many owners from 1965 to 1979 and who were they?
Do you have any photos of the car on 4 wheels between 1965 and 1979?
A scan of any photos or documents will help the database, if you do not wish to put it all on the forum send it to me on
rochdaleolympic902@gmail.com (please put ROCHDALE in subject line)
and this applies to all owners reading this send in the past details of your car PLEASE.

Kind regards
Tony

Last edited by TonyS on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
TonyS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Do you have any more news on this car from Mr Hodkin
and where it went to?

"After much knocking on doors and many phone calls I eventually found Mr Hodkin.
He told me about the car when he owned it and of some of the events he did, I intend to talk with him again and gather more information.
He told me where the car went when he sold it and I am in the process of following this up.
I will put the info on here as I find the answers."

Kind regards
Tony

ps did you manage to recover the photos of your own car?

"I have a good few photographs of the car in it's original state but they are on a hard drive that failed and need to be recovered. When I do this I will post them up."
TonyS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave you have a PM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Historical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: