FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rochdale Olympic phase two subframes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Ph 2 sub frames Reply with quote

Zef,

I have built the sub frames to drawings provided by the Owners club, as far as I am aware they were produced from an average of measurements from several sub frames. As far as the possition of the steering rack is concerned I suspect it is in the same place as it has always been. I have heard the comment about it being wrong before but have always wondered why this is being said?
zefarelly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith

I've emailed Nigel twice now, no reply as of yet, I have beans and want one, . . .I'll give him a call as well.

As you say, whats the point in having a Rocdale if it won't be a Rochdale when you've finished. Theres also value to be added in making a Rochdale work, I've never driven one and I doubt there are meny well sorted ones that actually work/run anyway!.

Joe
zefarelly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've left a message via telephone as well

I'll release the pigeons on Monday Wink
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Phase 2 sub frames Reply with quote

I have just parcelled up the 4th sub frame for delivery, the Rochdale Owners club only have one left now.

Don't be left wanting as I don't know when or if the next batch will be made.
zefarelly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spoken to Nigel, Cheques are posted . . . . as soon as I have some workshop space I'll be looking at getting it offered up in the shell . . .
zefarelly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very quiet here . . . .

I have my subframe, very pleased with it, a nice touch to close the tube ends as well

well Done Keith
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: None left Reply with quote

I spoke to Nigel yesterday and he has put a customer name on the last sub frame.

The club have no more frames so if you need a sub frame for your phase two I suggest that you contact the owners club and let them know. I guess when they have enough interest they will commission another batch.
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith- a very interesting article re the fitment of the frame in this edition of the Club magazine. My thoughts were to line the left to right position across the front of the car with the rear axle, but you do it with the centre of the front mudguards, are the body mouldings reasonably accurate to do this?

Rod
keith hamer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: accuracy Reply with quote

Rochdale did what they could to make the Olympic as accurate as possible for a hand built car. Yes there are a few areas where it isn't too simetrical.

My reasoning behind using the wheelarches to line the frame up from side to side is that is the area you will see, and it needs to look right. That area of the car is (in my opinion) as good as anywhere to get your alignment from. Using the rear axle to line up the front is perfectly valied, and certainly not wrong, however one has to ask how was the rear axle set up, ie. what was used as a datum for that end.

By far the best option would be a centre line down the car, however this would involve many hours of measuring and averaging out readings to produce an accurate line.

Just a parting thought, isn't it fun pitting your whits against these living sculptures we call Olympics.
zefarelly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go for a centrline average and the wheel arch method.

I do have the advantage of the rear axle being on another planet to the shell at present!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> Olympic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: