FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glass Rear Windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Glass Rear Windows Reply with quote

Glass Windows !!

At the AGM I noticed that one of the 'Porschedales' appeared to have a glass rear screen (with a rear wiper). I have a near opaque acrylic item on my Ph II plus a replacement, but glass is much more attractive.

I already have plans to replace the rear side windows with laminated glass, but wondered about the history/availabiity of the glass rear window.

To me acrylic screams out 'kit car', whereas glass is much more attractive and presents the car in a more favourable light.

Does anyone have any info on availability ?

Cheers,

Howard Evans
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the window really glass, or was it a polished acrylic one? I have looked at a picture that I have of that car and the screen looks the standard size and shape to me, rather than an adapted one from another vehicle. To get a glass one made would cost a fortune I should think.

Does anyone know the owners of the two cars at the AGM and could ask them?

Rod
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Les,

Thanks for the info.

If you ever change your mind, you have a guaranteed order !

Howard
leselliott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Evans wrote:
Hello Les,

Thanks for the info.

If you ever change your mind, you have a guaranteed order !

Howard

The real problem isd that you effectively had to make the tailgate fit the glass unlike the acrylic ones that you can cut accordingly.
As far as I am aware my special one that I fitted to BPL125 was a special favour by Brian and I think the moulds were eventually destroyed. One of the biggest problems you have with them is that you cant bend glass in two directions so they have a single curve, just look at windscreens.
When i was getting acrylic rear screens made for the club, the major costs were getting the double curvature, because you have to get the acrylic to sag. I do actually think single curves are better looking.
Howard Evans

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Les,

Thanks for the further info.

I agree that the single curvature glass looks better. I assumed that the double curvature rear screen had been specified to increase its stiffness in acrylic ( not required in glass) otherwise it would appear to be an unnecessary expense.

Cheers,

Howard
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard

I'm certain that the double curvature is because Richard Parker wanted the back window to follow the curved back of the bodyshell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> General Technical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: