FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where are you all?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: where are you all? Reply with quote

knock knock anybody there?
Dave
Paul Gething

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out in the sunshine.....not finishing of my Rochdale.....
Paul Narramore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making enquiries about buying yet another Citroen 2CV6 - which will be our sixth.

If that was a general question about members of the ROC not being here, I had hoped that question would have been put at the recent AGM by one of us and and an answer resulted from it. If nobody asked that question, then we are all in the same fog we have been in for years as to why people are reluctant to come on here.
Dave-M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: where are you all? Reply with quote

Paul I quite understand your frustration at the lack of use of the Forum but it's not possible to force members to use this facility.
After attending the AGM I have given a bit of thought to the way the club is structured and operated and some of the consequences of that.
Here are a few random points to think about.

1) The only exposure of the club, to interested onlookers, around the world is Here, yet the club officals do not care to make their presence felt.
2) There appears to be total disinterest in the whole of the website from the officials
3) We were promised by the webmaster a bit of a revamp of the website, including a "for sale" section in the forum, as yet there has been no action, not even an update in the contacts section, new chairman etc.
4) There appears to be a bit of an "old boys" network in place and a preference not to change anything ie. total reliance on the newsletter, (as excellent as it is) as the sole means of communication.
The 6 month turn round in information is far too slow for most.
I'll leave it there for now and see what comments come back but there are more points that need to be raised.
Regards
Dave
Rodsmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I agree with all you say. However, there is a probably an element of "if it ain't broke, dont fix it". The long-term members have the Club running just how they like it, and as they are doing most of the work, I suppose they have a point!

We all want different things from a Club, but with a limited number of members it is hard, for the Club, to do everything for everyone. For me the benefits of the Club are the spares, the rebuild information, whether from the Forum or the Magazine, and lastly the Social side. Others may have different priorities.

As you say we can't force people onto this website, but the last Magazine mentioned the website address, and once it gets re-organised and easier to log onto, I hope more members will post here. A lot of the members are of the older generation- myself included before anyone gets upset!- and a computer is still alien to them.

There was mention, at the AGM, of having an electronic version of the Magazine, instead of the usual hard copy, but thankfully that was a non-starter. The Magazine is a necessary, tangible, piece of the Club that keeps every member up to date with things, albeit not very speedily. It truly amazes me that the content is so interesting and varied every issue, and the editor does an excellent job with it. It can, and should, run alongside this Forum, so that they complement each other, they should not be in competition with each other!

Hopefully the website reorganisation will take place very soon, but until then, I think that there are a great bunch of guys on here!

Rod
pk333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Although not a regular contributor to the forum i would like to say on behalf of the absent hoards that the facility is an absolute goldmine of information. The topics i have posted have had prompt and informative replies. I tend to agree with Rod regarding the older generation and computers as i have only a basic knowledge of computer navigation and i consider myself at the younger end of the Rochdale owners age spectrum being a mere thirty something. I am one of those that will benefit so long as there are people out there interacting and i am sure others will also. I cannot even use the excuse that my phase 1 restoration is keeping me away from the computer and i for one will be aiming to make more use of the facility. If nothing else the recent frequent discussion on the forum has prompted me to kick start my painstakingly slow phase 1 restoration once again. Maybe most other members are hard at their resto's hence the inactivity !

Paul K
calex_fr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rochdaleproject wrote:
At the AGM the webmaster said he would be able to put more time into the website now due to a change of circumstances. It is the shop window for the club and as such should be updated and improved constantly, this would keep interest and make people keep coming back for more. We'll see what happens from now?

yes, have you see him here since the AGM ?

from France
Dave-M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: where are you all? Reply with quote

Alex No we have not
Dave

Ps. did you get your brakes working OK?
calex_fr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: where are you all? Reply with quote

Dave-M wrote:
Ps. did you get your brakes working OK?

No, I have to do a new pedal box, with new pedals in may.

from France
zefarelly

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I've been away, and busy trying to earn some form of a living, so little to no progress on FRU . . . forgive me, I even thought aboput selling it briefly, but having seen a few snaps of finished cars I changed my mind again (I've still not seen one running in the flesh!) I have loads of stuff for it and just need to get a car built and clear of my workshop so I can bring it home and get cracking . . .

I was a committee member of the MK1 Cortina OC and they don't have a forum despite 2000+ membership . . . . its not the be all and end all, however the few that do use this forum have contributed valuable information for us all to share, and frankly, its quite likely of little use to anyone else, the addition of old club mag articles on a tech thread might prove useful . . .its easier to find and print a page for the workshop than grubby an old magazine . . .(or open a page in the workshop if you have an old PC down there as I've done)

an accessibly sales/wants page on the main website would be good, if nothing else it may help raise the profile of the car.

IF/when I ever get mine done and it proves to go round corners as well as I know I can make it go in a straight line one might expect a little more interest from competition orientated people also
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> The Meeting Room All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: