FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GT engine removal
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave-M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Malcolm,
Isn't it funny how things happed? Just this afternoon, due to the cold and rain and a lack of motivation, I was trawling through some boxes of old car related books when I discovered an old copy of the 750 Motor Club publication "Design for Competition". This was the third edition dated 1966.
Of course it had loads of useful info on swing axle front suspension and the like. Above all there is an excellent article on preparing the 100e 1172 sidevalve. This was written by a guy called Bill Cooper using info from Eric broadley of Lola fame. It and the other topics covered in the book have answered virually all the questions I had. I will definatley be using a 100e unit now. I suppose it was the lack of knowlege on my part that was causing me to look at an A series or 105E alternative.
I was suprised to see that even back then they were managing 70 BHP and revs approaching 7,000.
Another amazing thing that comes through is how many 750 MC competitors had found their way into Formula One as designers and were still prepared to give talks at club level discussing what would be considered top secret by todays standards.
I have been quite active over the last couple of weeks, Mainly on the Olympic. I managed to get my local machinist back in harness and he is machining my door hinges to accept needle roller bearings and hopefully put an end to hinge wear, He has also done some spring mounting plates to accept the AVO dampers.
I have all but completed the wiring harness which I have adapted from an early Mk2 Cortina GT, Its ideal for the Olympic just needing a few exta wires and a good earth loop.
I managed to buy a load of grey leather from ebay at only 60p / sq ft so thats what the Olympic and GT will be trimmed in, Cheaper than Vinyl!
I am hoping to get the GT back in the workshop in the next week or so, I just have to get my +2 back together to make space.
The GT body will have to come off the chassis to repair the floor pan which was damaged when I got the car and I will remove the attempt to fit a Panhard rod and restore the watts link that was originally fitted.
I am still looking for an original dash to take a mould from for the GT, not too desperate yet, someone somewhere must have an unfinished shell!
I have finished the mod to the GT6 heater and it's turned out just what I wanted.
I am a bit dissapointed in the lack of use of the Forum after all the effort Aubrey put in to repair it. Lots of watchers but not many contributors!
Anyway, see you soon
Regards
Dave-M
PS I haven't forgotten your Japaneese Man

Last edited by Dave-M on Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
MMcKays

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave
Good to hear you're busy and great to hear you've settled on 100E!
The hacking to the site and having to re-register seems to have put a lot of people off the forum - I hope they'll drift back in time...
Malcolm
Dave-M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my GT back out of storage after losing my original workshop. After having the use of a huge barn and coming down to a 25 x 20 foot garage something had to give. Hoping now to progress my GT and my Olympic.
Are you still there Keith, Malcolm ?
Will post more as I get on with the restorations.
Shame the forum has died!
Regards
Dave-M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rochdale Owner's Club Forum Index -> GT All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: